First black gun???

carsonc1974

Ive had BCM, Daniel Defense, Palmetto, Spikes, Rock River, POF, and a Noveske and im sure Ive forgotten a couple... But in the $1000 range, Rock River offers alot of bang for your buck. Right now, my favorite that i have is Stag 3g... Kinda pricey but it had everything i wanted in a black gun. You can buy an upper and build your lower and save quite a bit of money over buying a complete gun..

Caleb

From what I understand, DPMS makes a few different "grades". I've heard you want to stay away from the cast lower and make sure it's forged. Pretty sure you want to stay away from any cast lowers though. Check the specs on the DPMS Oracle. That's a great price but I'm concerned there might be some corners cut on it.

Yeah, I just found it crazy they'd have them for so little and they actually had good reviews. I plan on getting a decent gun, I think realistically I'll end up spending $1500-$2000 for whatever I end up with not including opticals.

Ive had BCM, Daniel Defense, Palmetto, Spikes, Rock River, POF, and a Noveske and im sure Ive forgotten a couple... But in the $1000 range, Rock River offers alot of bang for your buck. Right now, my favorite that i have is Stag 3g... Kinda pricey but it had everything i wanted in a black gun. You can buy an upper and build your lower and save quite a bit of money over buying a complete gun..

How about in the $1500-$2000 range. From what I've read, the Noveske is a damn nice gun, but usually a bit more expensive. Would you agree with that? I've also read LMT is another good gun and that BCM is actually starting to use their parts in their guns, putting BCM up there in nice guns. After reading a bit more, I've also found Colts seem to be one of the nice ones too. So back to what TRD said back in the beginning, I'm also looking at the Colt 6920 and 6940.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
One of my neighbors has a LMT and I was impressed with it. Fit/finish was great, balance felt good, he said was a little more $ even with his police discount.

LT.

Sorry i missed this thread for so long. First do not buy one chambered in .223. Make sure it is a 5.56. The 556 will shoot the 223 but a 223 should never ne used to shoot 556. The 556 has more pressure to it and it will over pressure the chamber. Other than that, there are a number of quality manufactures out there. Choose wisely, get options you like, and have fun.

LT.

Caleb

Sorry i missed this thread for so long. First do not buy one chambered in .223. Make sure it is a 5.56. The 556 will shoot the 223 but a 223 should never ne used to shoot 556. The 556 has more pressure to it and it will over pressure the chamber. Other than that, there are a number of quality manufactures out there. Choose wisely, get options you like, and have fun.

LT.

Sweet, that's something I haven't read yet. I always assumed (obvious incorrectly) they would go either way. Thanks

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You can fire a .223 out of a 5.56 mm rifle. The neck of the round is slightly smaller making them less accurate because they don't fit right in the chamber. If I remember right both have a chamber pressure around 50k psi

Where it becomes unsafe, the 5.56 has a slightly different neck not allowing it to seat properly in a .223 chamber thus not properly controlling said PSI allowing potential failure and ruining of face

In short

.223 in a 5.56 chamber safe but not accurate

5.56 in a .223 chamber not safe and potentially detrimental to your face and gun

Last edited:

LT.

TRD270 explained it better than i ever could. I suck using intellegent words. When it comes to ar rifles there are tons of options. Pick which ones you like best and go with it.

LT.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Cleaned mine the other day, decided to take a pic to help motivate you. Magpul puked all over it.

5VDfY.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
For what it worth..... I would never buy a Ar15, I would build one. Pick the parts and put it together yourself. I've wasted more money over the years buying the stupid things and then building them from there. You also want to decide what it you will use it for, do you want a mid or full length gas system? how heavy will it be? What kind of trigger feel do you want? There are way to many options out there to just go buy one off the shelf unless you are going to just go plinking at which point I say buy a cheap one.

My Ar I use right now is a M&P lower,upper,chrome lined barrel and bolt. It has a ergo f93 pro stock, geissele s3g trigger, Samson evolution 15" hand guard, Mad lever,troy midievel muzzle brake, hogue grip and Troy fold down battle sights.

I use a variety of optics depending what I'm using it for at the time. The gun weighs just over 6.75 lbs and I can shoot it strong or weak side with one arm, I wanted a light weight rifle in case I was unable to use both arms... It is all high quality and I have never had and problems with it functioning.

I would highly recommend lots of time studying and building your own gun. Don't waste good money on a cookie cutter.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
For what it worth..... I would never buy a Ar15, I would build one. Pick the parts and put it together yourself. I've wasted more money over the years buying the stupid things and then building them from there. You also want to decide what it you will use it for, do you want a mid or full length gas system? how heavy will it be? What kind of trigger feel do you want? There are way to many options out there to just go buy one off the shelf unless you are going to just go plinking at which point I say buy a cheap one.

My Ar I use right now is a M&P lower,upper,chrome lined barrel and bolt. It has a ergo f93 pro stock, geissele s3g trigger, Samson evolution 15" hand guard, Mad lever,troy midievel muzzle brake, hogue grip and Troy fold down battle sights.

I use a variety of optics depending what I'm using it for at the time. The gun weighs just over 6.75 lbs and I can shoot it strong or weak side with one arm, I wanted a light weight rifle in case I was unable to use both arms... It is all high quality and I have never had and problems with it functioning.

I would highly recommend lots of time studying and building your own gun. Don't waste good money on a cookie cutter.

Only advice on doing this would be to make sure you use an upper and lower from the same manufacture. Not everyone's specifications are the same. I recently worked on a buddies rifle that had two different manufactures for upper and lower. The two fit together but not well. Wouldn't take much work to make them fit better, but the take down and pivot pins were so tight you had to use a punch to break down the weapon.

Cascadia

Undecided
Just seemed like a good setup with a lot of the things Caleb would probably want. Maybe you can even try partial trade for your 300 Caleb.

Caleb

I'd offer him $1800

tops, IMO. No offense intended towards RR but if I'm spending $2K on a gun, I'm not getting a RR :D I find it funny that he lists his prices (which are inflated to begin with) and they don't even add up to $2300. If I'm paying full retail for everything then I'll just order the parts myself.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Thats the most I would offer as well, doesn't even have the greatest parts on it.

You live in Rivertown, if you want to PM me your address I can stop by and show you my Colt unless you don't want the Po-lice there