For you Steve

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sorry for the newb question but what makes the Miata's more desirable over the RX7's? I rode in a twin trubo'ed 13B RX7 once and I still think that was the coolest thing ever :D

I don't know if it's in the same category but my dad's cousin built a Porshe 914 with a Vortec supercharged small block (LS1 maybe?) in it. Unique. Fast.

Ugh no more car talk. I have enough things to spend money on :rofl:

I could be wrong but the draw seems to be how well balanced the car is, how cheap it is to get into one and how competetive the racing is.

sixstringsteve

A porsche 914 handles very similarly to a miata. My brother's DD in high school set the record for the fastest lap in its class (914 2.0) at Laguna Seca around 1999. Super fun car. 50/50 weight split too. Not insanely fast acceleration, but man were on-ramps fun!

I've never driven an RX7. It's also got rwd and 50/50 weight balance, so I'm betting they're awesome to drive too. I think I'd have a hard time keeping the power down on a twin turbo.

I just remember that every time I drove my miata I was grinning the whole time. I don't exactly get that with the tacoma on the way to pick up parts in SLC. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

once my wife and I took the miata shopping for a painting for our living room. It's about 4'x2'. It didn't fit in the trunk. We held onto it with the top down to get it home. That's a great memory.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Spec Miata (MX-5) is awesome, and if I had the coin, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Solo II is where I really need to be, my Miata is bone stock and will stay that way. So I'd compete in Stock E, which is awesome because my dad was the Stock E national champion 40 years ago this year. I did a few Solo II event's about a decade ago in my Rabbit GTI and it was a blast, but I really hated being beat by my dad in my car (he was actually schooling Street Prepared Porsches in that stock, tired GTI!). Same thing would happen in the Miata I fear. :-\

sixstringsteve

last time I raced solo II, there was a dude in a rented hyundai schooling all the cool kids in their STis and Evos. He was in the top 10 of all classes: M3s, Porsches, minis, lotuses. He was a great driver from back east who needed a few more points for Nationals, so he flew out for the event. Amazing driver.

Let's get your dad to give us some pointers Stephen.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The miata allows me to take it to it's full potential on the way to work every day. Now if only I could find one.

I don't think I knew you liked Miatas, Steve. Did you know I have one?

225_rt1.jpg

sixstringsteve

Boring video, but fun topic.

[video=youtube;s0MjVlQP8hU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MjVlQP8hU[/video]

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Nice one dempsey! What year is it? Want to sell it?

It's a 1991, and it has been in project status for ~ 3 years now. :(

I don't want to sell it but would rather see it through to completion. What am I doing to it? Let's just say it is undergoing displacement enhancement. When it's done, the engine bay will look like this:

mrmmiata.jpg

So far I have the new rear diff mounted (Ford 8.8 IRS):

diffrear.jpg

difbrace.jpg

The project has halted because I need some fabrication done... and I don't weld. Basically, I just need to test-fit the engine, then measure and decide where/how to attach the motor mounts to the new tubular subframe. After they are welded on, I can install the engine/trans combo and that will dictate where/how to attach the rear trans cross member. After that, it'll all come together.

Someday.