ford 9inch

xjallday

your mama
stupid question just wanted to make sure im right. If im right the only difference between a 9inch out of a 2wd f150 and the 4wd f150 is the splines right. 28 on one and 31 on the other. Am i right or not please let me know. Thanks

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
xjallday said:
stupid question just wanted to make sure im right. If im right the only difference between a 9inch out of a 2wd f150 and the 4wd f150 is the splines right. 28 on one and 31 on the other. Am i right or not please let me know. Thanks

Nope....not sure what, some older ones may be 28spline, but every truck I have seen is 31 spline....even a '62 unibody 2wd I had.....

Some 6 cyl cars and early Bronco's had 28 splines.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You say "only difference" like the spline count is no big deal. It's all about the splines, man. :ugh:

Caleb

9"ers also have different size bearings...its a pretty good idea to get whats considered to be a "big bearing"...if you search you can find the measurements to decide if its a big bearing...splines aren't a huge deal if you are going to upgrade....however, if you plan to run it as is for now then like rockmonkey said, its all about the splines :D...thats the difference of a D35 (27 spline) and a D60 (30 or 31 spline, can't remember off hand which)...so thats a pretty big difference.

ROCKRUNNER

look for an axle after 71 and those were about 90% 31 spline and not the 28 spline, big bearing narrow axle is out of an old bronco sweet swap and pretty darn strong for stock. There is nothing wrong with the 40 spline 9 inch either :D :D man I cant wait!

GR4x4

Stop the MADNESS
I have heard that the center section is also something to look at. I can't remember which is better, one that has two fins or one that has one fin going down the back of it. But one is stronger then the other one. Makes me think two fins. I am sure you can find that out somewhere. I only know this because my brother rebuilt his 75 bronco and he went to buy a new center section and did some research to find what was the best.

SnwMnkys

Mustangs and early Broncos have the weaker style 9" housing. The F150s and 78-79 Broncos have the Beefier housing. No Early Bronco came with 31 spline axle shafts stock. Small bearing housings can not be upgraded to 31 spline shafts unless you have a special bearing, even then if your running over 33"s your going to be replacing bearings every few thousand miles.