ford f250 V-10

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Ive never owned a ford, Ive heard that the V-10 isnt a very good motor.
anyone have any input as to why???

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd buy one, esp. as they start getting 3 valve per cylinder units. They're not real gas mileage machines, but people that tow with them speak highly of them. They don't have a turbo, intercooler, etc. like a deezel and that's a good thing in my book.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I had a 99 V10. It was garbage. The oil pump pooped out on the way home from the dealership....litterally made it half way home. They put a motor in it for me with 30k miles. It ran good for a few months then starting going south. It stil had power but dropped from 12mpg down to like 4. It was probably just a sensor or something but I had wanted a Powerstroke anyway so I just traded it in.

I have heard both good and bad about them. Im sure the newer you get, the better off you will be as they were working all the bugs out of them.

After owning both, I would never think about buying a V10 again tho. I love the 7.3

Bucking Bronco's crawler hauler is a V10 and he loves it.

What are you looking at?

rholbrook

I am with Cheston. I ordered a 99 V10 crew cab short bed loaded up. It came in a couple of days prior to going to Lake Powell. I pulled the water craft down and go like 6 mpg. There is no way it would have pulled my cruiser so when I got back I went back to the Ford dealer and said get me a Power Stroke. My BIL bought the V10 from me and he had it for a while and put 150K miles on it with no problems. He bought a diesel and said he prefers it over the V10 all day long.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I had a 99 V10. It was garbage. The oil pump pooped out on the way home from the dealership....litterally made it half way home. They put a motor in it for me with 30k miles. It ran good for a few months then starting going south. It stil had power but dropped from 12mpg down to like 4. It was probably just a sensor or something but I had wanted a Powerstroke anyway so I just traded it in.

I have heard both good and bad about them. Im sure the newer you get, the better off you will be as they were working all the bugs out of them.

After owning both, I would never think about buying a V10 again tho. I love the 7.3

Bucking Bronco's crawler hauler is a V10 and he loves it.

What are you looking at?
2004 f250
Ive just been looking to get a newer crawler hauler & Ive seen a few ford v-10's in my price range & I like the 6spd manual Idea. I'd love a diesel, but the ones in my range Have 150,000 + miles.
Ive got a 95 GMC 454 right now. Ive used it to pull with the last 6 or 7 years, not the best mileage with sufficient power, but paid for.
its just getting older.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
our 08 work truck isnt bad, about 30k on it, pulls ok (bout the same as our 6.0 chevy) it gets 11 mpg everywhere.

my budy has a 6.0 in his tahoe & says he gets 17-18 on the highway.
is that a stretch?
My 454 gets 13-14 on the highway empty & averages 9-10 pulling my rig.
how much weight have you pulled with your 6.0?

Chevycrew

Our 6.0 has only seen around 7000 lbs, it is an 08 and gets 18 empty city driving with employees driving, we don't baby it, same drivers get 11 in the ford.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Our 6.0 has only seen around 7000 lbs, it is an 08 and gets 18 empty city driving with employees driving, we don't baby it, same drivers get 11 in the ford.

18 is good mileage for a gas motor. My rig on the trailer is 6500-7000 lbs.
it sounds like the 6.0 might compare to my 454 (towing ability) but better mileage

Mope

The 6.0's we have at work don't do nearly that good. They get 12-13 running around town, and 8-9 pulling the skid loader around. Pulling the TJ in a 24ft enclosed it got 5-6. Just giving you something to compare too. I think one of the things you'll notice a difference in is the 454 has good low end to it. It seems the 6.0's don't start feeling very strong until 3500-4000 rpms.

Chevycrew

The difference in mileage may be in the year of the 6.0L. But, I agree on the low end, my 99 454 seems to have much more off the line, but top end the 6.0 screams.

LT.

In this world where everyone is talking about Diesel this and Diesel that, myself included, the gas work trucks get all to often over looked. The Ford V-10 is not a bad motor. Most of us just expect the same performance that we can have with a Diesel. The Ford engine family is a modular design where everything including the wiring will swap from the 4.6 to the 5.4 to the 6.8. My biggest problem with the 6.8, and every modular motor Ford makes, is around 100,000 miles you will have to spend some time in the shop with the truck. Spark plugs are just the start of the woes on the motor. For what ever reason the Ford engines don't seem to be quite up to par when compared to the Chevy motors.

LT.

mierdota

goose you said all the diesels in your price range have around 150k for a diesel that isnt bad at all my dad has a 99 power stroke and it has 270k and he has never had any problems with the motor. He had to do a tranny but the motor still runs strong as ever, so find a diesel with 150k and you'll be fine. If its a ford find one with a newer/rebuilt tranny or if its a dodge or chevy you should be fine their trannys hold up a lot better. You cant go wrong with a v10 either it will pull just fine but the mpg sucks a diesel will pull a little better and you will get almost double the mpg's depending on what you get. Sorry for just rambling its late, i just think you will be a lot happier with a diesel.

Coco

If you happen to look at ford diesels, and your looking for a newer truck (I think '02-'07) the 6.0L ford diesels, you GOT to do the EGR removal. That was the thing on those motors. The stupid EGR cooler would clog up, and pump the fluid through the motor, thus killing the motor. My uncle had a truck with that motor, and it had I think 3 new motors put in before he sold that truck? But that was always the cause.

My pops' new truck is the '07 with the 6.0L and like 150k. It has the banks power system, and he had that EGR kit put on. Comes with a tuner to delete the code from the computer, and ofcourse tune the motor. He is loving the truck now.

Oh my buddies ford v10 has if I remember right 200k, and runs and pulls like a champ, and is I think a '99. Only bought the truck for like 4k if I remember right.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Two of my Glass trucks have V10's, a '99 and '97, both have over 220,000 miles without any issue and have ran awesome (until friday) one of my engines just got a bad rattle in it, havent had time to see what it is, might just be a waterpump. one of them has pulled a heavy trailer 99 percent of the time, and only gets 8mpg pulling, the other is never pulling and gets 12 mpg. they are gas hogs but have great pulling power (for gassers) I just bought a older powerstroke that Im getting ready to build into a work truck assuming that one of these V10's will cave in someday.

oxbronco

We run 3 v10's for our business, a 2000, 2002, and a 2008. For a gas engine they do really well. Just like rockreligious they get around 12 running empty and as low as 7 pulling 10,000 lbs. All of ours were ordered with the 4.30 gears which makes a big difference in towing and performance. All of these trucks have been very reliable trouble free. On my truck I have a afe air intake, superchip, and mbrp 4'' cat back exhaust and the 4.30's and I know that it will tow side by side with a stock 7.3, both of my brothers have them. They dont like it when they cant loose a v10

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My friend has an early Super Duty with the V10. He seems to like it, but last week he had the spark plug issue. I think one blew out and he had to helicoil it. Obviously I don't know much about them, but I'd look into the sparkplug issue as it seems to be pretty common on the earlier models.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
My dads 99 f250 has the and he loves it, it tows his 29foot holiday rambler trailer with out blinking a eye, that said some years did have a TPS sensors go bad but easily fixed, other than that he has had no problems and it goes everywhere gets about 14 average

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have a couple V-10's, and like them. Plan on 8 to 9 MPG towing, and 11 around town.

The spark plug failure issue is common on both the earlier model V8 and V10 engines. I blew one on my 02 at 50K miles. Haven't had any issues at all on my 99, but it's only got 20K on it too. That one spark plug issue is the only money I've put into either of them.

As far as towing ability goes, it won't keep up with a powerstroke by any means, but they do ok. For example, my 99 V10 (motorhome) weighs in at 17,000 pounds. Then I add my Jeep and trailer behind that. The Soldiers Summit climb will knock me down to 35 MPH, but I can live with that.

On the truck, look for the 4.30 gear ratio. I tested both the 3.73 and the 4.30, and there's a huge difference between the two.