Forest Lake Project: Saturday, 8/4/12, 12:00 noon

ret32

I realize this conflicts with the Mineral Basin run some of you are planning this weekend. But several on this forum have expressed an interest in being invited to the next Utah 4x4 Club project up at Forest Lake.

When: 12:00 Saturday, 8/4/2012, 12:00 noon
Where: Meet at the Tibble Fork parking lot at 12:00 or at the trailhead at 12:45 for those coming from Midway or who are already in the canyon.
What: Goals will include checking on the new posts up at the lake, re-dragging logs to re-define the perimeter around the high water mark of the lake, blocking off an illegal bypass that has cropped up this summer, and/or tidying up campsites along the trail. In that order of priority. The reason for the mid-day start is to increase the likelihood that the campsites will be empty.

Also, I plan on camping somewhere in AF Canyon that night, probably up Dry Fork. Anybody is welcome to join me if they wish.

sixstringsteve

Actually, this doesn't conflict with the Mineral Basin trip. We should be done with the trail by then, so I imagine a few of us could make it. I'll spread the word. Thanks for keeping us in the loop and inviting us.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll try and make it. If I do I won't be driving the jeep and would need to ride along with somebody. The jeep is staying on the pavement until I get my new drag link.

ret32

We will also be helping out with the installation of a sign at the motorcycle trailhead at the lake. And may be helping a couple of FS employees with a GPS/dimensions inventory of campsites along the trail.

I'll try and make it. If I do I won't be driving the jeep and would need to ride along with somebody. The jeep is staying on the pavement until I get my new drag link.
I would offer you a seat, but I'll have two FS employees riding along from Dutchman Flat.

I have noticed when I was up there last weekend there are a couple fences that fell down also.
If it's the area I'm thinking of, the bypasses the fence was put up to block off are pretty well grown over by now. As long as people stay on the trail at that spot, we may just remove the downed fence. That will be a future project though.

UFAB

Sounds like a great opportunity to give back to the community. Would a chainsaw help out, I always enjoy the sound of a 2 stroke. What other kind of tools would be appreciated, shovel, pick, rakes? Trash bags?

ret32

Sounds like a great opportunity to give back to the community. Would a chainsaw help out, I always enjoy the sound of a 2 stroke. What other kind of tools would be appreciated, shovel, pick, rakes? Trash bags?
No chainsaws on Forest Service duty unless you're certified by them. The FS employees will be bringing the tools needed to install the sign. Otherwise, a tow strap for dragging downed trees around, a gps and camera for marking campsites, shovel/rake could be useful for campsite cleanup, trash bags are always good, gloves are always good.

ret32

So just a couple of reminders:

12:00 at Tibble Fork Reservoir - congregate near the bathroom (I normally find that lining up along the side of the road on the upper end of the parking lot works well.

12:45 at the trailhead if coming from the other direction.

CB Channel 4

Also, I will be camping overnight Saturday, probably up Dry Fork, maybe even do a hike to Sunset Peak, any and all are welcome to come with.

UFAB

UFAB made a presence with another fellow wheeler. It was a nice day, had a few flat tire fixes. Always being prepared pays off. Working with some winch techniques to include a snatch block on one of the tire changes. Moved logs around for the Forest Service to make a perimeter around the Lake.

IMG_20120804_144016.jpg

IMG_20120804_152725.jpg

IMG_20120804_152740.jpg

IMG_20120804_152747.jpg

IMG_20120804_192613.jpg

IMG_20120805_194200.jpg

Last edited: