Forest Lake trail closure

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Last night at the AFC/Snowbird meeting I learned that there are plans to close the trail to Forest Lake! We need to hop on this before its too late and organize a way to stop it. The road has existed for a long time and has been abuse by useless go-arounds and folks driving in the wash, rather than the trail. I guess those are the reasons, but haven't heard for sure. Who has suggestions for where we start?

ewander

I will build a sign stating accepted four wheeling practices, and put some labor in on a fence in a place or two..........I could get a lot of help hmmmmmm.......you call the forest service...

demon jeep

Banned
What we reallt need to is get with U4WDA and have them help if you have not joined i have news letters and name of clubs that are members I am forming a club it will also be a member.

To stop thing like this there is power in groups so join you local club or just join U4WDA the cost is $25 per year w/ 1 decal $50 per year plus, $20 per each ind. club member

So lets get together and plan an oganized trail day w/ forist service to clean up and keep forist lake open

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I agree with working along side the Forest Service. If we assist them by closing the Bypass on the Rockgarden and show them that we are intrested in keeping vehicles where they need to be, we might have more clout when it comes to other trail activity. I'll call the PG Forest Service office tomorrow and see if I can set a date to close and re-vegitate the Bypass.

Then we can start asking about Forest Lake and the reasons behind their plan to close it. :D

Those who were at the Autozone / U4WDA 4x4 show helped to donate $500 to Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL), which is going, in part, to keep Forest Lake access open to 4x4s/quads/bikes/etc. Like Demon said, joining U4WDA is a good way to fight this fight as well.

Brian Hawthorne, Executive Director of USA-ALL is, to my knowledge, up to speed on the Forest Lake situation...but your calls to the PG ranger office will certainly help, they can tell you where to send your comments. I dropped a note to Brian tonight and will post his advice/comments here.

Brian, by the way, fights the fight for *US* (4-wheelers) full time, all over the state. U4WDA makes regular donations to USA-ALL and has a delegate on the USA-ALL board of directors...and of course, USA-ALL is always willing to accept your tax deductible donations.

Brett (I ain't ready to sell my jeep yet)

#@*&^#%@# United!!!! Gotta luv 'em, but that is circa '95, and the email addy is no longer valid for U4WDA. We've been trying to get that United page changed for YEARS!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyhow, I'll get an application to post here, just print it out and mail it in.

We are setting up a site right now that will have this stuff online. We have the urls, just are setting up the server and pages.

Thanks,
Brett
Duke of Special Projects

Last edited:

Nixter

on the road again...
Try it again, web jammed there for a minute. It just worked for me. About 1/2 down the page on the right, is a 'HERE' that you can download.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I wish people would start to wake up and get involved.

I was up at Forest Lake on Sat during the U4wda Summer Convention, and spent way over an hour talking to three FS ranger/patrol dudes/volunteers on trail bikes. What they said was interesting. It's really funny, no one in the FS seems to know what the other half of their organizaion is doing....talk about a beurocratic cluster-foxtrot....

Anyway they said that there are two or three greenie weenies in the main distric office....I can't remember if that means the Pleasant Grove office or some other one, but these two or three eco nazis are uppity ups and they are going to do what they want, even if the local office that actually runs the canyon says differently. These tree huggers want to close everything above tibble Fork to motorized vehicles. Personally, I can't see that ever happening, I don't think it is realistic. However they can nickel and dime us to death by closing all the other short routes. I think Forest Lake is slated for closure on the new travel plan, which (I think) is being revised now. I need to find out for sure. I would like to think that if it is closed, it will be a for-sure lawsuit by USA_ALL. If it does get closed we need to raise hell....we need to get someone up at the trailhead every Sat and Sun getting signatures on a petition....everyone that goes up there needs to write a letter to the FS, and we need to write letters for all of our family memebers!

Regarding Pittsburg Lake......I'm afraid it is closed for good. I hope it still gets used so as to maintain its road status though....I would hate to see it grow over into a singletrack. In talking with the ranger /patrol guys....they said that most of the trail is on private land, but the start and end of it is on FS land. He perpetuated the myth (I think it's a myth) that the church owns it....which I now believe is a false rumor, basd on the information I gained at the meeting last week with the 'Bird. One thing is certain: It has been officially closed for ten years or more. Until two summers ago it was never posted as such, however. Now this is where it gets wierd: the ranger/patrol guy on Saturday said that they don't enforce it, partailly because of the mess of private land, etc. I swore that's what he said. Let me tell you about these guys.....they are big time trail bike guys, they are on our side and want to keep it open too. That's why I can't figure this out. Anyone that has been cited for going to Pittsburg Lake, if you can email me EZRhino@networld.com and tell me your story. I wan to know if they are for sure citing people. I don't want any hearsay, just the fact's ma'am.

EZ

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Why don't we just close AF all together. It is the last place along the wasatch front north of spanish fork to do any type of camping. Then next we can close down the Nebo loop and we are all set.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's the greenies' general plan...or at least part of it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Incrementalism, baby! That's how they do it.

I wish there weren't pesky groups of whiny busybodies out there that were so damn effective at getting stuff closed off...but I also wish I had a set of brand new 38" SX's. If wishes were fishes...

Brett