Forest Lake trail closure

Paddler

First off, bitchin, moaning and groaning about it on this site isn't going to change things. I'm quite sure the individuals who wish to see the trail closed are not members of this site.
What you need first is overwhelming forces. Easier said than done. There are those that rather bitch than ever do anything about it. Check out the 4x4wire. http://www.4x4wire.com I mean it only has over 8,000 members. Granted they are not all from Utah but you would be amazed at who just might lend a voice. I'll post it on the Isuzu site on the 4x4wire. O'ya that's right, there's about 14 of us in the local area who frequent AF Canyon when we are not down in Moab.
Has anyone considered uniting, with a few different 4x4, armed with signs, pens, and petitions at Tibble Fork Reservoir on a weekend? My god, in all reality the last time we, the Zutah Wheelers, were down there I wanted to come back home because there were so many wheelers down there. It was literaly wall to wall. I'm not just talking about 4x4 either. What about the Motocross riders the quad runners, mountain bikers, etc. I'm willing to bet that on any given weekend you could get a few hundred signatures.

PS: Surprise, surprise, Snowbird owns Pittsburg Lake

Last edited:
Jeff

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

The good news is, as described in the "bitching" in this thread, we have united, and are united, via Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association, Utah Shared Access Alliance, Blue Ribbon Coalition, United, etc.

Are you a member? Is your Isuzu group?

Uniting at Tibble Fork Res isn't a whole lot different than uniting here since the "audience" is basically the same. The folks there want the canyon opened too.

Good idea on the signatures...collecting them is one thing (are you volunteering?) but applying them is another...we'd need to make sure that it is part of the FS process, would matter, and is not a waste of time and effort.

btw, were you in the Isuzu group up there the last weekend of July?

Brett

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Shawn don't take this the wrong way but believe it or not it is possible to like snowbird a whole lot, and still wish they would stay on the little cottonwood side of the mountain.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by bobdog
Shawn don't take this the wrong way but believe it or not it is possible to like snowbird a whole lot, and still wish they would stay on the little cottonwood side of the mountain.

I'm not taking anything wrong. I also wish they would stay out of Mineral Basin, but the fact is they own a whole **** load of mineral rights over there and are continuing to buy up more and more.
I had no idea they owned as much as they do, and if we don't play fair they have the right to close off their land.

We have lost WAY to much area to play in, all we need to do is to continue bashing and piss someone off and the fun ends.

Mineral Basin is one of the last areas we have left that isn't hours away, and I would rather not loose access to this area due to some negative remarks.

Instead of pointing fingers as to who is closing what off, or who owns what, we should work together and try to keep these areas open.
Why is Forest Lake being closed off. Because morons won't stay on the trails.

In the past few years how many areas up in Mineral have been blocked off? Why? Because some people don't care and they continue to trash the area.

I wish I had a way that we could educate people, but I'm afraid that there are just some people that can't be educated.

Shawn

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well put, Shawn. I saw a map of AFC that had the amount of land Snowbird owned and there is alot!. We're lucky to have access to what we have now.

I'm working on a Forum specifically for Land Use issues, since it now goes hand in hand with Offroad use. There will be links to the Utah and National web sites, application forms for U4WDA and a place to post information, projects and more.

Paddler

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Paddler

PS: Surprise, surprise, Snowbird owns Pittsburg Lake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE]So,,, What's your point?[/QUOTE]
originally posted by Shawn

I'm not taking anything wrong. I also wish they would stay out of Mineral Basin, but the fact is they own a whole **** load of mineral rights over there and are continuing to buy up more and more.
originally posted by Shawn

I think you answered your own question.

Uniting at Tibble Fork Res isn't a whole lot different than uniting here since the "audience" is basically the same. The folks there want the canyon opened too.
originally posted by Nuber.

I would have to disagree 100%. This Forum has no where near the same audience as would posting in the canyon. You have Mountain Bikers, ATV owners and entirely way to many 4 wheelers that have no clue this forum even exists. What has more impact, a group of a few dozen four wheelers calling or writing letters or mulitple groups from different backgrounds united writing and calling far more times?[

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Paddler

I would have to disagree 100%. This Forum has no where near the same audience as would posting in the canyon. You have Mountain Bikers, ATV owners and entirely way to many 4 wheelers that have no clue this forum even exists. What has more impact, a group of a few dozen four wheelers calling or writing letters or mulitple groups from different backgrounds united writing and calling far more times?[

Your right, this Forum has a limited number of people. What we are trying to do, is direct those on here to the fact that there are problems they may not be aware of. Forest Lake is being shut down because a few wheelers cannot keep their rigs on the trail.
The whole reason behind the 'Land Use' Forum is to promote awareness and direction on how to have a good effect against closures. Joing the U4WDA is a great start, since they are a large Utah-Based orginization that can professionally work on maintaining open Trails.
My goal concerning Land Issue on RME is to provide a place where the average Joe can get his/her ideas out. Assisting the FS in building roadblocks for Bypasses has been a great idea that I believe we, from this site, could see thru. Any effort is better than none at all.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the thing i really want to see is building roadblocks over the trails to weed out those ill equipped vehicles that do most of the ruining of trails. if we build obstacles that will stretch our vehicles, it will help limit traffice to those that really have the ability to run these trails instead of those that bypass their way to the top. as we all know a vehicle with lockers and good tires, does way less damage to a given section of road than a vehicle that has to spin and dig for it's open differential traction. lets get together with the FS and submit this idea. we wont settle for closure of trails, but filtering of traffic on those trails makes a whole damn lot of sense!!!

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by spencurai
the thing i really want to see is building roadblocks over the trails to weed out those ill equipped vehicles that do most of the ruining of trails. if we build obstacles that will stretch our vehicles, it will help limit traffice to those that really have the ability to run these trails instead of those that bypass their way to the top. as we all know a vehicle with lockers and good tires, does way less damage to a given section of road than a vehicle that has to spin and dig for it's open differential traction. lets get together with the FS and submit this idea. we wont settle for closure of trails, but filtering of traffic on those trails makes a whole damn lot of sense!!!

I understand that the Rockgarden is now that way, :D ;) ! Mabey I'll go see how it turned out tomorrow. Anyone else game?

Good idea about the FS Roadblocks.......it may be more than they would be willing to allow, convincing them would be a CHORE! But that doesn't mean it can't be tried!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Greg

I understand that the Rockgarden is now that way, :D ;) !

i know i hinted heavily at the meeting as to that effect but i wasn't sure if anyone else was thinking about that too. we have some good guys in our local ranks fighting for us. i just hope to make myself more availible for these kinds of causes in the future. we all would be wise to do so in the future.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I am not sure who should decide how well equiped a rig should have to be to be on a trail. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hard stuff, and I know there is not much of it around. I will say that the last time I went up pritchett it made me pretty angry that all the rocks had been removed from the rock pile. Some one had decided that shorter wheelbase rigs and even long wheelbase without huge tires were not worthy of this trail. I have driven that trail at least once a year for 12 years and the rocks are part of that obstacle. Now I am forced to take the bypass. Now on anouther subject, I want to go up Mineral Basin tommorow and I hope that no rig that isn't built as well as mine can make it. If any one wants to meet up let me know.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I think we're OK to modify the trail with rocks. The FS wants to keep it accessible to ATV's however. Feel free to roll rocks onto the trail, the more the merrier!
EZ

demon jeep

Banned
Well has anyone taked to the FS about a clean up on forest lake road I know it was just done not to long ago but it is like a hous eclean it and keep it clean. today in mineral basin I picked up about 40-45 soda/beer cans and other garbige so always carry a
sack with you and help keep our trails clean

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Demon,
How about a better report on the 'new' trail? Were the big rocks put back up higher, just past the bog mine where the trail goes into the hundered yard willow stand? Your impressions.....?

EZ

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The big rocks in the willows were not put back. Some parts of the trail that used to have clear water runing down on rock now are small mud bogs. The way the trail drains has been changed in some places. Time will tell what effect this will have. All the switchback shortcuts have been blocked with big rocks and trenches. This may be a good thing in the long run but is is not very attractive right now. I also fear that people will use these as challenge routes, putting the future of the trail in jeopordy. It is easier to get through the willows without scratching the paint. The suburban we saw helped this also. The trail is still a good time. Big rocks really move around and they just need to find there place. It would be nice to see even more of the large permanent rocks in the trail but you have to take what you can get. One last thing, the main road up from tibble fork is sure getting torn up. It really beats you up good.