Former ambulance turned 4x4 camper

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was browsing thru the Expedition Campers & Vans forum on Expedition Portal and found this thing. I think it's killer! Looks like an ideal setup for a long touring trip around the country, heading down to Baja for 6 months, etc.

Before;

MVC-512S.jpg

After;

DSC_0643Large.jpg

Find a used 7.3l diesel ambulance, convert it to 4WD, strip a RV of it's kitchen and put it into the ambulance, add a futon and table, etc, etc. Once it's done, hit the road! Go South in the winter, North in the Summer and have fun with it!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That is so cool! I love that section of Expo--I would love to own a 7.3 SMB :cool:

A cool thing about the Ambulance packages that came on the Fords (probably GMs too) is that they have a few more bells and whistles like higher amp or dual alternators and such.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I had an M725, with lockers, 38's, and a 460. Got 6mpg, but was AWESOME to camp in. Unfortunately, I only got to use it for one trip. :( It was for sale here for a while, CHEAP. Went to the crusher... and I am still weeping over it. Useless for a family, with the rear seating arrangement, but totally sweet for couples or single guys. Very tippy-feeling on trails though, and 8' tall. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Dang! My dads friends had one of these when I was in H.S. and he used it for hunting. What a cool rig. This one is even sweeter being newer with all the sweet new stuff and not a 4 MPG wonder. Cool.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I remember seeing that on ExPo awhile back. I was thinking to myself that if it were mine, i'd angle the back up for a better departure angle... Then, he did it.. It looks badass.

Ford Prefect

That is really a cool looking truck. I ran across this today, and thought perhaps you would like to check this guy out. (I am not affiliated with it, just thought it would be cool) It is already 4x4!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1744033716.html

1985 military chevy K30 1 ton CUCV ambulance, 23k original miles, 6.2 diesel, 400-208, dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 4.56 gears with rear locker, truck is in great condition. $2900.00.
Odie @ (253) 590-6404.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have passed on several of these.. but a body.. now that's got me thinking. I may have to pick one up.. and sell the axles to pay for the body. Hmm. Win/win