Fort Collins, CO

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Who has been there? Thoughts?

I've lived here in the SL valley for all of my 30 years but have a big job opportunity in Fort Collins and I'm thinking about it pretty hard.

Thanks for any input!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Downtown is really cool, a bunch of awesome little shops and family owned restaurants and the like. I've only been there once and only for dinner and some fun at Fort Fun but it seemed like a really cool town.

roverrocks

Being a college town is a plus in it's favor. Puts you into lots of nearby Rocky Mountain wheeling and sight-seeing and exploring which ain't a bad thing. A whole lot less air pollution than the SL valley.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I've been thru Ft Collins a couple times... seems like a decent place. Close to the mountains, a good distance from Denver, but not too far if you wanted to spend the day there. Find the right neighborhood and I think you'd like it. My understanding is that most of the folks in Ft Collins are younger professionals, just starting out. Should make for a active, fun place to live.

N-Smooth

Thanks for the info so far. I'm pretty torn about the situation but it's not necessarily the location but just the thought of being 7 hours from family and 7 hours from Moab. It looks like there is some wheeling outside of Boulder and Buena Vista that could keep me satisfied

N-Smooth

I've looked up a bunch of the trails there but I'm not sure many of them would scratch my itch if you know what I mean.

I've had quite a few people say the beer is amazing but I don't drink so that doesn't matter...

Samersen

We spent a couple of days out there last fall. It was beautiful we were considering moving out there if the right job was out there we would of.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I would do it in a heartbeat, lived in Co Springs for almost 7 years and miss it often, Ft Collins is a great little town that is still close enough to big cities. Great scenic wheeling up there with Moab and southeast Colorado just hours away with more hardcore trails.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
New belgium and odell are the big breweries, fort collins brewery is on the same road as the other two. A couple other small ones in town. Awesome sorta moab hippy vibe. Bicycle library was how we got around most our trip. Book a new belgium tour way in advance, they book up 2 months out. Best brewery tour I had been on in a long time

roverrocks

I worry about the hippies...
The hippies live in the Republic of Boulder a bit south of Ft. Collins. Just think about going to Denver to Rockies and Bronco games. Lots of hardcore 4x4 trails in Colorado especially in the Montrose/GJ area. You won't want for 4x4 trails of all ratings in Colorado. I don't hate SLC as I used to live there long ago but I prefer CO. Head N out of Ft.Collins to I80 and zing you are back in Utah.

N-Smooth

I could see a Rockies game for sure.
That's what I'm seeing is that most of the difficult trails are in GJ which is the same distance from SL as FoCo... Kinda lame but at the end of the day it's cool to have some good wheeling within 5 hours.
I'm not much into "most" trails anymore, I pretty much need the hardcore stuff to satisfy my urges lol

flexyfool

GDW
I have a job opportunity in Fort Collins too so am interested in people's opinions. I've been there a few times on business. It seems like a very live-able area. Not much congestion. Reasonable housing. Reasonable property taxes.

flexyfool

GDW
My understanding of Colorado wheeling is that you do the "high country" Jeep trails in the summer and the southwest buggy trails in the fall and spring.