Found a Bike!!!

Caleb

I got the 2008 KTM XC. I was quite surprised at how clean this bike really was. Excited to get it resprung and get out on the trail with it. For now, this is the only pic I have :D

bike.jpg

Caleb

Went for a ride up AFC today. Love the bike. It will take some getting used to, that's for sure! Despite being a two stroke, I think it has more low end grunt than any 450 four stroke I've rode (maybe it's due to it being so much lighter???) and it's a lot snappier at almost any point in the throttle. I've already got my Rekluse clutch on order and a set of Highway Dirtbikes handguards, billet vapor protect, and front and rear turn signals.

To do list:
Headlight (Trailtech X2 Torch)
Skidplate (Acerbis plastic skid)
ODI Clamp on grips
FMF Gnarly pipe
Trail Tech Striker Computer
Suspension reworked (I put the stock spring back on and upped the compression on the front and rear, it's rideable now, but I need to get it tuned for my weight)

Couple pics from today:
300xc-1.jpg

300xc-2.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

that thing is sexy! Glad to hear the 2T is giving you the torque you need. Nothing like the snappy throttle of a 2T. Love it. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the trails this weekend. I think if I didn't absolutely love my current bike, I'd own a newer EXC 200. I'm surprised the japanese bikes haven't caught on to KTM's success with the 2T trail bikes.

How is the handling on the at KTM compared to your old CRF?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Nice bike Caleb! If its anything like my last linkless KTM fork height (in the clamps), rear sag and spring rate are ABSOLUTELY critical.

I'm surprised the japanese bikes haven't caught on to KTM's success with the 2T trail bikes.

They did in the early to mid 90's... Americans just didn't buy into it until recently :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Congrats Kaleb, I've absolutely loved my KTM... there are some haters (cough, cough Greg :D) but like anything else they have their homes in the hearts of some.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
apart from the KDX and WR250, what else did they build? (sorry for the hijack)

Off the top of my head....

Kawasaki KDX 125, 200,220, 250
Suzuki RMX 250
Yamaha WR200,250,500
And the rare Kevin Hines imported Honda CRE 250 :chris:

Non Japanese:
Gas Gas EC200, 250, 300
Husqvarna 250,360 WXE
ATK 125,250,260 LQ's and 406 Aircooled

Caleb

Husky is still making their two stroke as well. Supposed to be another sweet bike. :) Really it's only the Japs that have stopped. Gas Gas still has one, Husaberg has them, I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now too.

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Congrats Kaleb, I've absolutely loved my KTM... there are some haters (cough, cough Greg :D) but like anything else they have their homes in the hearts of some.

I don't "hate" them, but I did own a KTM and my opinion is based on my personal experience. My bike was very unreliable and randomly wouldn't start. The one KTM dealer in SLC at the time (which was very small) was no help and I could never fix the issue. I could go on, but I won't. ;)

To sum up my opinion, KTM builds amazing race-ready bikes. Race ready bikes have a race bike maintenance schedule and me, I'd rather be riding than working on my bike.

All said, after seeing Caleb's KTM 300.... I want one... :p

Caleb

...and that's not entirely true on the maintenance schedules...atleast not for the hi-po off-road bikes. I just checked and my 300XC has a 40 hour oil change interval, my 450x had a 10 hour oil change. Those are the mfg suggested intervals. So based on that, my KTM has WAY less maintenance requirements :D I'll probably do the same I did on my Honda, every other ride or so (depending on the ride).

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
...and that's not entirely true on the maintenance schedules...atleast not for the hi-po off-road bikes. I just checked and my 300XC has a 40 hour oil change interval, my 450x had a 10 hour oil change. Those are the mfg suggested intervals. So based on that, my KTM has WAY less maintenance requirements :D I'll probably do the same I did on my Honda, every other ride or so (depending on the ride).

Good point, I guess it really depends on which bike we're talking about and what we're comparing it to. There's no question that the CRF is a high performance bike. The 2 strokes have less moving parts, so it's a pretty different animal.

The WR450F claims 600 miles between oil changes.... :eek: More than likely, I'll change the oil around 60 miles and be happy with that.