General Tech Fox 2.0 shocks, how to adjust pressure?

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I admit, I am a complete noob when it comes to these shocks. I bought a set of lightly used Fox 2.0 units from another wheeler, and put them in yesterday. I gained an inch or so of up travel, and less than an inch of down, from my older RE shocks that were limiting it a bit. That's not a problem though. My question is how to soften them up a bit? The first thing I noticed was that my jeep wasn't wobbling around as much as it used to. That's good, because I removed my front anti sway bar. Then I noticed that it felt like I was riding in my old YJ again. That's bad because this is also my DD. :rofl: I just want it to be a bit softer. That's pretty technical, eh? :D

I was googling how to do it, but mainly only came up with information on their bigger stuff, coil overs, etc. Plus, a lot of places that are selling new stuff always fills the rank of google searches.

Can anyone offer some tips?
They are 2.0 emulsion non remote reservoir shocks.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Try droppng the N2 pressure a bit. they come with 200 psi from fox. What valving do you have? It is probably 30/90 look on the seal head where the shaft goes in. What are they on? Try running 100 psi and going up from there If you have the capability to charge them.

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I will look in about an hour, when I have a chance. Can I simply discharge it like I think I can, to get to 100psi? With an air chuck, etc?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I will look in about an hour, when I have a chance. Can I simply discharge it like I think I can, to get to 100psi? With an air chuck, etc?

You can as long as the shock is fully extended and upright. If it is not fully extended, your pressure readings will not be correct, and if it isn't upright you'll let oil out with the N2 (assuming they are emulsion shocks...)

It's best to do this with a screw-on type gauge similar to an ARB/Currie tire deflator (but make sure it's rated for 200+psi,) because there is very little volume in the shock, and any tiny release (i.e.removing the push-on style tire gauge from the valve) makes a very big difference in the pressure.

Last edited:

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I had a look at the drivers side shock, no numbers stamped on the cap. Hmm... I will try again tomorrow. Family stuff to do tonight. :)

Ah yeah, good point regarding the pressure and the volume of the container. I have worked with a few bike shocks before, but not properly. Ha ha!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I had a look at the drivers side shock, no numbers stamped on the cap. Hmm... I will try again tomorrow. Family stuff to do tonight. :)

Ah yeah, good point regarding the pressure and the volume of the container. I have worked with a few bike shocks before, but not properly. Ha ha!

The numbers should be scribed (scratched) on the seal retainer on the bottom of the shock body (where the shaft comes out.) Is that the cap you checked?