French door fridges

Tonkaman

I'm closing on a house this month and will need to buy a refrigerator for it. The misses really wants a high end fancy looking fully loaded unit to make the kitchen even more appealing. They cost a small fortune, but I'm thinking it would be a nice gift for her since she always supports me with my purchases.

Im looking for feedback from those people on here who actually own a similar fridge. Please no French door hating trollers.

Who here has the 'door in door' feature? Do you love it, hate it, forget about it? Is it worth the extra cash for convenience?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434461780.454368.jpg

How about the 4th door option? The one I'm looking at is able to be used as a crisper, fridge, or even a blast chiller for beverages. Is the organization and flexibility worth a little loss of cubic storage space?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434462022.237282.jpg

These fridges also have an option for in the door ice maker. This looks great at first for shelf space, but I'm concerned I'll always be out of ice. Most of these in door types only hold 3.5 pounds of ice and only make about 4 pounds per day. In Contrast a standard ice maker seems to be around 8 pounds of storage. Who has the in the door ice maker? Have you ever ran out of ice? Do you like it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434463001.442719.jpg

Any other input about these I should consider? Any particular models I should look at or stay away from?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434462476.686284.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434462476.686284.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My in laws have the 4 door model and my mother in law says it was a waste of space. She would rather the top be bigger.
Fwiw we have a top fridge just not French doors. I loved it but the freezer on some of them is very small compared to a side by side. Those neat features eat up real-estate. Might want to look at that if you use your fridge freezer a lot.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Mine is very similar to the second picture, but without the small middle drawer. It has LED lights inside it which are great. Water in the door and a nice freezer on the bottom. I like the freezer on the bottom as it's opened much less and is basically out of the way. Get the dark stainless (not sure if it's really stainless?) as it wont show finger prints and is still magnetic, as mine is.

Bucking Bronco

I love the door ice maker. It really gives a lot more room. I've never ran out of ice. But I don't use it that often. I hate my freezer on the bottom. I wish I had a conventional side by side again.

Tonkaman

Great feedback guys, thanks. The freezer definitely takes the biggest hit for usable storage but I'll supplement with a deep freezer. I love the black stainless look hopefully it's available on the model I end up liking. Funny you mention being magnetic, I had never thought about that until reading reviews from people who are mad about it not being magnetic.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
we have the french door, sears model, which I think was a rebadged lg. No middle drawer, but bottom freezer and door ice make. No problems with ours in a year. I really like the bottom freezer, we always have a ton of stuff in our fridge so having it on the top 3/4 makes sense for us.

ID Bronco

We love our bottom freezer (2nd one in a row) and the french doors on top are nice. I would get it again. Both doors nearly always get opened though. I would steer clear of the 4th drawer and the door in door, waste of space to me. She'll love you for it and you'll like it after you pay for it. I do.

Caleb

We had the side by side for many years, but can't stand them. Even though you technically have more freezer spacer, goodluck fitting anything in it. Frozen pizza? Sure if you turn it on an angle and take up an entire shelf. Now that larger freezer space isn't looking so large.

We now have a four door French door model Samsung. Love it. We've got the door in door model, I'd skip that. We never use it. I live the forth drawer/door as it allows for a true third temp range section of the fridge. We keep yogurts, cheeses and lunch meats in the drawer and it works out great. Now my son can reach yogurts on his own. The freezer on the bottom takes a little getting used to, you pack the freezer a bit different but it works out just fine. The biggest win is you get more fridge space than a side by side, and by far more usable space. We ended up being able to get rid of our second fridge once we got this one.

We also have the in door ice/water. We use it a fair amount and I've never ran out of ice. I'm not filling coolers or anything, just drinks and ice packs. I didn't want the in door ice/water as I read a lot of the end up leaking. However, the model we wanted didn't have the option to not have them. We had them on our side by side and I never found it to be a must have but is nice to have.

Btw, congrats on the new place!

Tonkaman

We had the side by side for many years, but can't stand them. Even though you technically have more freezer spacer, goodluck fitting anything in it. Frozen pizza? Sure if you turn it on an angle and take up an entire shelf. Now that larger freezer space isn't looking so large.

We now have a four door French door model Samsung. Love it. We've got the door in door model, I'd skip that. We never use it. I live the forth drawer/door as it allows for a true third temp range section of the fridge. We keep yogurts, cheeses and lunch meats in the drawer and it works out great. Now my son can reach yogurts on his own. The freezer on the bottom takes a little getting used to, you pack the freezer a bit different but it works out just fine. The biggest win is you get more fridge space than a side by side, and by far more usable space. We ended up being able to get rid of our second fridge once we got this one.

We also have the in door ice/water. We use it a fair amount and I've never ran out of ice. I'm not filling coolers or anything, just drinks and ice packs. I didn't want the in door ice/water as I read a lot of the end up leaking. However, the model we wanted didn't have the option to not have them. We had them on our side by side and I never found it to be a must have but is nice to have.

Btw, congrats on the new place!

This is exactly the feedback I was hoping to get, thank you. I was also thinking a middle drawer dedicated to the midget would be nice.