Front end problems

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I have been having front end issues with my tires wearing weird. The inner tread on the front tires wears way faster than the outer tread. I have replaced the tierods and bearings and seals all with in the last 9 months or so, and a fresh sterring stabalizer. It used to have minor death wobble but after i replaced a bent wheel it went away. The alignment is set too but still can't figure it out:confused:
Any ideas this is a 1980 toyota axle in a 1991 4runner with 35's
the only thing that is not fresh is the knuckle bearings but im unsure if that could cause this

Last edited:

iamsparticus

The camber was at 0 if i remember right, oh crap im haveing a brain fart is camber teh rotaion of the axle or the wheel lean top to bottom?

iamsparticus

Okay in that case i don't remember. That said how would i adjust the camber? I thought it was simply set and no adjustment

Last edited:

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
there is no camber adjustment on a toy axle. if its out most likely the housing is bent.

there is only toe adjustments on the toy solid axles.

iamsparticus

Yeah that is what i thought so i might need to take the axle and have the housing straightened and then gusset it at teh knuckles thats most likley where it bent

iamsparticus

yeah i did but not since the tires started wearing weird about 5 months ago, im taking it into a place in saltlake next week russ's they are susposed to be good and if somethings wrong i can take it and fix it and they will align it for free not to bad

leorn

reset
pics? usually its the right by the knuckle ball that bends. Invest in or make some knuckle ball gussets for your next housing.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Being that its a 1980 model axle under a 2nd gen V6 4runner with big tires and no gussets there is a good chance..... Actually yes it is bent without a doubt as Toyota axles come bent from the factory :rofl:. Sorry I'm a bit bitter when it comes to this topic :D

If you do need a different housing I would shoot for the 84-85 as the have the more robust bottom gusset. Anything earlier I would look into an aftermarket gusset for the top. Knuckle ball gussets are mandatory on the Toyota axles imo. If you do weld on an aftermarket top gusset take your time and do it right. It doesn't take much to warp a housing and I would highly recommend building a jig to set it in before welding. Good luck,

Andrew

iamsparticus

Thanks andrew i think i might just have to buy a new housing, and yes the passenger side is the one i notice the most wear, i planned on gusseting the knuckles but i guess i waited too long ill get pics tonight

Yota

23468_106689039351064_100000299047232_168002_3002758_n.jpg

OREGON85

from OREGON
You don't want it. I was just commiserating. The driver's side is bent at the knuckle. I can't even see the bend but that side took a hard hit and ever since I have to put a new seal in it about every 5,000 miles. Gear oil runs into the knuckle then dilutes the grease and greasy oil runs out all over...

...Hopefully backwoodsgoup (or what ever the current alias is) isn't reading this!

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I have the same problem on mine. it from a 79 so it has no lower gussets. i wheeled it too long before putting gussets on it. it bent 1/4" at 6" from the ball on the drivers side.

i have a 85 housing but im saving it for my buggy.

Last edited: