Jeep front g2 upgrade Q

azoroc

i see these dana 44 without hubs, brakes and they say you can use d 30's hubs ? i would like to keep my 4.5 on 5 and dont want to "lock" hubs like more traditional heavy hubs, live axle is the goal thanks for your help in clarifying this

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Are you converting from ifs to a live axle? Keeping your 4.5 on 5 probably means you have a jeep so ummm what??

azoroc

thanks first of all let me try and clarify my d30 on my yj has a three part axle with a vacuum connector to "lock" into front drive ( from what i understand it is a live front axle out of the transfer case) my question is according to g2 is from axles out the hubs and brakes are inter changeable from d30 to d44 that would be great as i dont want to buy locking outside hubs it sucks asking questions when i dont know the language for an accurate discription say hi to silent bob thanks taco

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
You really do want to change things from the knuckles out. Your unit bearing hubs, brakes, weak knuckles and the 4.5 pattern are all things you should upgrade. Simply going from a 30 to a 44 pumpkin is really a minor if not completely useless upgrade. Arguably the worst parts of your 30 are from the inner Cs out. You can eliminate the vacuum disconnect for pretty cheap if that is what you are really after. Look into kits to accomplish it. They are out there. 80s era Waggoneer axles will probably cost much less to swap into your Jeep than a G2 housing but you will need to do some work and buy new rims. The end result will be better in every way though.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You really do want to change things from the knuckles out. Your unit bearing hubs, brakes, weak knuckles and the 4.5 pattern are all things you should upgrade. Simply going from a 30 to a 44 pumpkin is really a minor if not completely useless upgrade. Arguably the worst parts of your 30 are from the inner Cs out. You can eliminate the vacuum disconnect for pretty cheap if that is what you are really after. Look into kits to accomplish it. They are out there. 80s era Waggoneer axles will probably cost much less to swap into your Jeep than a G2 housing but you will need to do some work and buy new rims. The end result will be better in every way though.

Good advice there IMHO

mesha

By endurance we conquer
A TJ shaft and a vacuum block off plate will get rid of the disconnect in the axle shaft. Depending on the year and model of dana 30 you might already have the bigger dana 44 sized u-joints so a dana 44 wouldn't upgrade that.

The advice already given is good advice.