Frozen spring eye bolt

kd7kmp

Okay, ladies and gents, here's the deal...

My 1990 GMC Suburban is in desperate need of new front spring eye bushings. I have the parts and was able to replace the passenger side bushings today. However, the driver side bushing are frozen to the inner sleeve of the stock bushing. I heated (with a propane torch) and sprayed them with penetrating oil off and on for about two hours with no change. I would love to hear how you might approach this problem. I have thought of cutting the bolts, but I don't know what new bolts would cost or where to get them. Thanks for the insight.

Kevin

Caleb

Cut them off. Simplest, quickest way. Get new ones at most hardware stores. Or Nut and Bolt if you have one close by. I'd strongly suggest getting nyloc nuts.

Caleb

Sawzall if you have one, hacksaw if you must. You could also grind it off or burn it off it you have a grinder or a torch.

Does it spin in the bushing or is it seized to the bushing sleeve? If it's seized you may have to cut both sides to get it out.

str8axleguy

I just put springs on my samurai and every spring bolt on the fixed end was froze up. A torch is the fastest way to get em off but I don't have one so it was sawzall time. Doesn't take too long, just cut them inside the hanger on both sides then it should come out. Good luck shouldn't take too long though.

kd7kmp

Both bolts are seized to the bushing inner sleeve. The rear bolt/sleeve spins in the bushing. I picked up some sawzall blades this evening as well as some replacement bolts and nyloc nuts. I won't be able to work on it again until Friday. I'll keep you posted.

Kevin

kd7kmp

Update...

I ended up using a cut-off wheel to cut the bolts. The bushing inner sleeve is hardened steel so the bimetal blades wouldn't cut through them. It took a bit longer because of that...otherwise, it's back together and working great. Thanks for the help.

Kevin