Furious and need to vent (rant about idiot local vendors)

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
So, my truck is a 71 Chev K20 (for non chev speak that is a longbed 3/4 ton). I bought it in Aug of 04 and I have been getting ready to do a solid rebuild of the whole truck. I installed rear disks last fall, and while I was at it I fabricated a cool rock ring for the beefy Eaton HO52 rear axle.

The next step on the list was to correct the previous owner's mistake of putting on a 4" lift and 35" tires. Together they must have equaled tire rub so he hacked the fenders (very redneck in my opinion) in a way that let mud and water destroy the bottom of the cab, the rockers, and the mounts. The simple correction for this (and it makes the truck's stance much better) is to add a couple of inches of lift.

After much deliberation I decided to go with a 6" all spring lift from Tuff Country. I like the responses I have read from Tuff Country Owners AND Tuff Country is a local company. Well I decided to go with a shop here in Ogden that is pretty high profile. They seem to do good work, but...

When I first went in I outlined what I wanted and they quoted me a mid $600 price. That seemed way low compared to other dealers so I asked all the right questions. The answers?... No shocks weren't included (That will be about a couple hundred extra), no a drop steering arm wasn't included (that will be about a hundred extra), no labor wasn't included (thats a set price and will be a couple hun extra). So, why didn't they tell me that up front? Well I got the cash together (about 6 weeks) and went back in last week to schedule an install. NOW the price was going to be $1300 (up by double the original figure and up 200 over the last figure). Oh, well I need to get it done. They say that they can't get it in for a week, but come in Monday morning at 9:00am and they will start it first thing. It should take about a day, but no more than that.

Well, Monday 9:00am shows up and I walk through the front door. The owner/front desk guy isn't there and the wrenches just walked in ahead of me to start pushing out tires, moving out trucks etc. About 10:00am I leave with my truck still in the parking lot, but with assurences that it will be done by later that afternoon.

Now I am without transportation for a day, but it is all for a good cause because by 6pm I will have a great new suspension on my ride and my project will be on its way. I have things I could have done today, and I took a day off work, but that doesn't matter...until...2:54pm!

My phone rings! Hey, they must be done early!

Hello?
Hey, we have run into a little problem.
Really, what is that?
We don't have the parts to do your suspension.
What?
Well...(insert mumbled excuses about how they got shipped 2 sets of front springs and they knew at 11:00am, but didn't bother to call until there was no time left to solve the problem, and it really isn't their fault since gee who really needs to make sure that all the parts are really there before you begin a project)...

I take a critical day off work to leave my truck with a bunch of loons that can't even check on parts before they have me waste a day. Hell, they can't even start the project until the middle of the day when they "need you to be there by nine am", AND they don't even bother to tell me until it is too late to solve the problem. (There is an easy enough quick fix, new springs up front add-a-leaf in the rear, and come back in for the rears in a couple of days. We will make the warehouse eat $200 for your inconvenience because of their screwup.)

Well, I have learned my lesson again. If you want something done and done right do it yourself. I didn't want to dig into this project like this, but since I can't trust anyone to do their job I have to do it for them.
I really hope I see some of these guys on a trail sometime, stuck and needing help. I will offer them the prompt effective hand that they extended to me. Oh, wait maybe I'll just offer them ONE FINGER on that hand!

Budbeater

Last edited:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Badcop said:
As always, you cant put up a post like this without a name......

I know who it is just by reading the post. I had my IFS chev lift performed by them, and sat in there showroom until almost midnight. They said it would be done that afternoon, and I wasn't leaving until I got it. Staying there forced them to stay late, and live up to their word.

Seth

These go to 11
The bait and switch! I deal with this crap every day. I give someone an accurate professional quote and don't here back form them until they want me to "fix what these guys did". Sure they were 10% less, they f**ked it up real good for just 10%! :mad2: (a little misplaced workplace anger for you)

Tell them.... Nevermind, I will have someone else do it. I bet you would have got it for the original 600.

I love the "Nevermind" and using Visa. You just dispute the charge and you get your money back. They know this and tend to come around real quick.

Caleb

If I were to guess I'd say 4WPW but I may be wrong, if it is 4WPW then I don't knwo what to say, I'd never have them install a lift for me personally. I'd also ***** a lot till you get the price knocked down. They threw away a gear set of mine once and I bitched enough till I got a brand new gear set for free :D

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Well if he did it local to Ogden, we only have 4 shops up here now, 4WPW isnt one of them they closed and left, we do still have Power Play, All Pro, Alter Ego, and SXOR. Now of those 4 names theres 2 I can see doing it and 2 I cant, Im not going to speculate, but I am curious as to who did it.

k9lowe

Where's MOAB?
I am going with PowerPlay...they did the same to me when I took Buck's truck in to get it lifted. The price quote was raised upon the second trip but after the "NEVERMIND I'LL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE" it came back down but they still didn't get it done in the time frame that they gave me.:mad:

Bone Down

This was only a leaf spring lift correct?
Then why not do this your self, they are pretty straight forward, only issues really are the bolts getting stuck in the bushings nothing a sawsall and a small torch can not handle.

I can not see how a 4 leaf lift would equate to 1300 bucks in labor I would definetly complain until I received the original install quotation.

might not even be any of the four listed, some tire shops do these installs as well, Big 'O', Les Schwab, and some others.

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
All Pro... (actually No Pro or All Full of It)

I wanted someone else to do it because my awesome 30'x60' shop is currently filled with my brother's 70 El Camino project (almost done and insanely beautiful). Even in my shop it would have taken 2-3 days of time that I don't have right now.

Now I am going to wait until the end of June so I can have my summer transportation out and I can take my time and get it done right (ie POR 15 over the frame and shackles, new extended brake lines, etc).

Bud Beater

str8axleguy

that's too bad, I have had them screw around on a quoted time frame before also, I had them install gears in my 84 chevy and I talked to the owner and he told me the rear end was in pretty good shape and that he had it apart, I was in the neighborhood anyway and thought I'd stop in and see, as I pulled up they were just pulling off the diff cover! It's too bad when they just tell you want you want to hear to get your business. I do like dealing with these guys though, I just do my own installs now.