G-Wagen failure...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The caravan had to stop for two days while parts were flown, then trucked into the Outback — probably in some kind of Toyota vehicle, just guessing

Fixed. Seeing a Ford or GM in Aussie is like seeing a International Scout on the road here ;)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Fixed. Seeing a Ford or GM in Aussie is like seeing a International Scout on the road here ;)

It brings on instant, uncontrollable laughter, and then an intense feeling of sorrowful embarrassment for the person driving it?

I have to agree though, that it is not likely that they were rescued by a GM... that would be way too ironic.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
there could have been 20 shock failures and the five cars could still be driven.....

I'm assuming in typical Aussie fashion they had 500+ lbs of gear in the back of each road and travel dictated they do reasonable speeds over nasty washboard. If my truck didn't have shocks in similar circumstances I'd also consider it at best cast limp mode back home or un-drivable to continue heading into the Outback? Its either stop and fix it now or continue and destroy something more. Break a shock and nothing is holding your coils in at extreme droop. Loose a coil and you could severely damage a modern vehicle at even minimum speeds.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Really? While Toyota is number one in Australia for sales, Holden (GM) and Ford are two and three respectively.
July 2011 Australian New Car Industry Sales Figures.
Additionally Ford and Holden have a fanatical fan base in Australia, particularly when it comes to racing (see: V8 Supercars).
Now I haven't been to Australia, so I don't have your first hand experience, but from what I know from my fanatical following of global automotive news, I'm going to say seeing a Ford or GM product on the road in Australia is pretty common.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Ford and Holden have a fanatical following for their cars and utes, not their rugged outback-capable vehicles, and rightly so. I am still bemoaning the recent loss of the Pontiac G8, a 400hp re-badged Holden design.

Note that your little chart does not break the numbers down into WHAT MODEL of brand X was sold, or even mention if it includes trucks and utes. :D

EDIT: scrolling a little further, I see that Toyota Land Cruisers took a staggering 73% of the market in the large SUV segment. :D The "medium" and compact segments are basically sh*tty car-type SUV's.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Really? While Toyota is number one in Australia for sales, Holden (GM) and Ford are two and three respectively.
July 2011 Australian New Car Industry Sales Figures.
Additionally Ford and Holden have a fanatical fan base in Australia, particularly when it comes to racing (see: V8 Supercars).
Now I haven't been to Australia, so I don't have your first hand experience, but from what I know from my fanatical following of global automotive news, I'm going to say seeing a Ford or GM product on the road in Australia is pretty common.

50 years of LC's in the Outback trumps anything GM/Ford are going to offer for the next 50 years ;)

I'm not talking about the city here Stephen, I'm talking about towns like Alice Springs in which every other vehicle on the road including the school busses have roo bars and snorkels.

From your link:

Large SUV Segment Winners:

1. Toyota Landcruiser Wagon (619 – 73.1%)
2. Nissan Patrol Wagon (228 – 26.9%)

You'll notice there isn't even a 3rd place ;)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
50 years of LC's in the Outback trumps anything GM/Ford are going to offer for the next 50 years ;)

I'm not talking about the city here Stephen, I'm talking about towns like Alice Springs in which every other vehicle on the road including the school busses have roo bars and snorkels.

From your link:

Large SUV Segment Winners:

1. Toyota Landcruiser Wagon (619 – 73.1%)
2. Nissan Patrol Wagon (228 – 26.9%)

You'll notice there isn't even a 3rd place ;)

Then be more specific next time. Road would denote a road anywhere in the country. Outback, yeah, no dispute its going to be Toyotas.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Context, Stephan, context. I understood Kurt to be discussing the relative improbability of finding a Ford/GM product saving the erstwhile G-Wagens in the frickin' outback-- the one mentioned in the article and in the link itself. :D

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
If you're not lucky, you might see this out there:

road+warrior+%25282%2529.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I feel like I'm forced to watch the Stephan show everytime I tune into the goings ons around RME lately..

... Tune in next time to see what stupid sh!t Stephan will post. Will he be able to not sound like a one-upping techy news snob who thinks he knows it all? Will he have random, out of place remarks in response to comments made by others?