Gathering information on a home for sale

Hunt

I am looking at buying a home in a town about 30 minutes north of me. I have looked at the property and love. Its a little out of my price range but it is supposably in a "Pre Foreclosure/Non bank approved short sale".

My question is more about city hall info.

If I go to city hall what kind of things do I need to be asking for?

Outstanding taxes?
Last property survey?
Permits for the garage addition?
Outstanding permits or stop work orders?

I am just trying to go in asking the right questions. What other things should I be looking for? I know everyone is different but lets start with generalities.

What other info is public? Can I find out when the last payment was made? What bank owns the mortgage?

The house is empty so it's not like the people are living there rent free with no need to move things along fast.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The listing price on a non approved short sale means nothing (even on a previously approved short sale it doesn't mean much)... Don't fall in love with it.

The only info the utah county website provides is the land records on Taxable values, as well as some other basic info. Our realtors have always been able to tell us the current and historic mortgage information

Hunt

I stopped by the Hopewell Junction city hall which is actually part of and in the East Fishkill city hall. Although the address of the house is a Hopewell Junction address the property actually falls under the Village of Beekman. So I ended up having to go to the City Hall of Poughquag to be told they store all the records in Poughkeepsie and because they have Monday off for Easter it would be the middle of next week before they would have the file for me to look through. Did you follow all that?

So basically I had them pull the fill. The only info they were able to give me was the basic overview form the assessors office, which by the way does not match the MLS at all. The record is missing a full bath and about 1000 square ft. Looks like when the addition was put on over the garage it either did not have permits or something else is weird. So that will be something to look into.

The other thing they gave me was property boundaries map which I already had form researching it online. Right now I have the MLS, the property boundary map, a very basic assessors sheet, and listing history for the realtor.

More to follow.