Gear Ratios

Bleeding_raptor

Bloody Mess
What is the best Gear ratio to get for some hard core rock crawling? Is there anything like a 10:1 or 15:1??? :eek:Am I just dreaming or what???:redneck:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I think with the options of T-case and tranny gearing that we have nowadays, it's not necessary to go lower than about 5.29. From what I've seen on the comp circuit, I think 4.56-5.29 is the most popular range. Something around the 10-1 range would have such a small pinion, that I don't think they would hold up to crawling. Just my 2 cents.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Super low gears are soooooo 1999. :D Toyota guys sometimes still do it by stacking 4 or 5 :rolleyes: transfer cases. Kinda depends on the wheeling you wan to do, but if you really need deep gearing you can get there with the combination of the right transmission (get an automatic!) low t-case gears, and reasonable axle gears. If you want to climb the steep stuff, low gearing is not really where it's at.

Bleeding_raptor

Bloody Mess
Automatic?

RockMonkey said:
right transmission (get an automatic!) low t-case gears, and reasonable axle gears. If you want to climb the steep stuff, low gearing is not really where it's at.

Why automatic?? Is an auto better for crawling?? I am more used to mudding and dont have to much time into crawling so while building a rig I would like it to be the best I can do as opposed to taking a stock Explorer and putting a lift and tires on it and calling it good. I figure if I am going to try and get into a sport might as well do the best that I can to get it right.
Thanks for all the info that you all are giving me. :D
Raptor

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Well, that's kind of like asking if Ford is better than Chevy. However, the vast majority of rock crawling competitors use automatic transmissions. I swapped in an automatic a year or so ago, and I'll never go back. :D

Caleb

Bleeding_raptor said:
Why automatic?? Is an auto better for crawling?? I am more used to mudding and dont have to much time into crawling so while building a rig I would like it to be the best I can do as opposed to taking a stock Explorer and putting a lift and tires on it and calling it good. I figure if I am going to try and get into a sport might as well do the best that I can to get it right.
Thanks for all the info that you all are giving me. :D
Raptor

Well, autos are a little more forgiving all around. If you are not quite geared correctly the auto can make up for it, if you are hard on parts the auto can make up for it and absorb some of the shock load on your drivetrain. You are less likely to break parts with an auto, with a manual your drivetrain locks up pretty solid so when you get a shock load it goes all the way through you drivetrain and you are more likely to snap axles, etc...also with an auto you dont have to do the three foot shuffle when you are in a precarious situation, they are also quicker to find reverse with. The main downside to an auto is they are longer than just about any manual so depending ont eh drivetrain you plan on using and the vehicle youplan on using the auto wont always work (atleast not without some reworking of things;) )

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
supergper said:
so is the AX15 longer than (what auto are you running again 999?)
Yup. The 999 is a somewhat beefier version of the 904, which is also known as the "shorty" 904. Must be like, short. Or something.

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
Yup. The 999 is a somewhat beefier version of the 904, which is also known as the "shorty" 904. Must be like, short. Or something.

thats cool to know, I never knew that (about the AX15 being longer)...