Gears: What type and where?

parks_pop

I need to get some info on gears for my TJ. I will soon be running 35's and I am not sure how low to go.
I am thinking I would like to go with 5.29's ....is that a good idea?
Also I have no idea who makes the "best bang for your buck" gears.
What do you guys recommend?
I will be needing them by the end of next week. :D

Also...yes I will be keeping my stock P*ssy axles. Please don't flame me too much for that. ;)

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Im very pleased with my precision 5:29's on 35" mtrs with a 4 cyl engine. But my axels are toyota so I couldn't recomend you go to jim at inchworm. I payed 600 for two diffs set up master install kits that price is with a 200$ core charge. So I would say look for a price 6-800 bucks and precision gears are my choice just since I have ran them. Dont get genuine

95jeepgrndchke

parks_pop said:
Also...yes I will be keeping my stock P*ssy axles. Please don't flame me too much for that. ;)
Im not flaming but do you have a 44 in the rear or a 35?
I know a good place to get Yukons pretty cheap, I think Yukons is some of the best stuff out there. If you want me to get you some prices let me know.

utahxjer

Well sorry to the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure the lowest gears you can go in a D30 is 4:88's. That is what I'm running and they are working great. If you have a auto then they will work even better.

grinch

inner city redneck
If your running a dana 35 in the rear the lowest you can go is 4.88
If you have the 35 I personally wouldnt recomend going lower than the 4.56 gears.... The pinion gear on 4.88 gears is awftly small in a dana 35....

parks_pop

I do have the D35. Yeah I know that blows but I don't have the dough for an upgrade right now..someday :D
I also have a 5 speed which scares me when I think about only going with 4.56's

utahxjer

parks_pop said:
I do have the D35. Yeah I know that blows but I don't have the dough for an upgrade right now..someday :D
I also have a 5 speed which scares me when I think about only going with 4.56's
well I have a 5spd and I'm just fine w/ my 4:88's. So do you have a front dana 30?

grinch

inner city redneck
I ran the 4.10 in my 4 cyl yj for years with 33 inch tires.....
Just pretend its a 4 speed and that you dont have a 5th gear....... ;)

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
I would go to Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. Thats where i got my gears for a good price and excellent customer service. I probably wouldnt do anything more that 4.56s on your axles. My ZJ is more or less a pavement pounder now and I had qualms about putting my gears in. Dont skimp out by not buying quality gears either, they are not something you want to keep replacing.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Well, if you have a dana 35 in that thing, buy the cheapest gears you can for it, cuz even Genuine Gears will last longer than the rest of the d35. Maybe put Motive gears, or Yukon or something good in the 30.

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
parks_pop said:
bob-cat!!Are you serious?
The price difference is a bit high! :eek:

Yep. Sorry I keep thinking Toyota not Jeep and off road improved capability.
My 2 cents is, if you change the 373 to 456 and do not improve traction or the crawl ratio it will be as capable as today running 373s and 33's tires off road.
Bob

Jeeptj98

parks_pop said:
I need to get some info on gears for my TJ. I will soon be running 35's and I am not sure how low to go.
I am thinking I would like to go with 5.29's ....is that a good idea?
Also I have no idea who makes the "best bang for your buck" gears.
What do you guys recommend?
I will be needing them by the end of next week. :D

Give Brandon (SukaB) at Anarchy Offroad a call, he did my Gears and I have had no problems, he has Killer prices also.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm running the 4.88's and 35" tires......Yukon (from the logical rock dudes)gear in the D44 (rear) and Sierra (from Kurt) in the D30............Good match for the 4.0L and the tire size.....

parks_pop

BOB-CAT said:
Yep. Sorry I keep thinking Toyota not Jeep and off road improved capability.
My 2 cents is, if you change the 373 to 456 and do not improve traction or the crawl ratio it will be as capable as today running 373s and 33's tires off road.
Bob

Probably partly true.
However I am not in the position (cash wise) to do that. What I am doing now needs to be done by the end of the next week.

parks_pop

BOB-CAT said:
So did you lift it and put the 35s on it?

The lift goes on next week.
I PM'd Suka B to check on what a package deal might cost me...New rear D44, gears and rear locker..thought I better check all my options.

Might not be ready for wheelin' next week....but you never know :D

utahxjer

parks_pop said:
I PM'd Suka B to check on what a package deal might cost me...New rear D44, gears and rear locker..thought I better check all my options.
That's gonna be one expensive package :eek: