Gears

Wonderboy

How much would it cost to have new gears set up in my D30 and D35? Any recommendations for a place to install them? I am just trying to get a budget for it.

KC7SMO

'Yup, its Ham Radio...
Six states does them for about $250 labor per axle. The gear sets usually run just under $200, more or less depending on ratios.

I have had Six States do several for me, if you go to the Orem location ask for Kevin, he knows his
stuff. They are very realiable with anything drivetrain.

Other shops and dealers have quoted me much more in labor.

Last edited:

Wonderboy

I was planning on getting 4.56, but if the price is right, i might go with your 4.88. Though it might be bit low for me. I only plan on running 33's for the next several years. Then maybe going up to 35. But i guess it would work.

Wonderboy

Ya, ya, I know. I have thought about getting a new axle, like an 8.8, but can't really afford it right now. I have thought about just getting a super 35 kit, or piecing one together. I don't do anything extreme right now. anyway, 35's wouldn't be til day the road a ways.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I wouldn't put a dime into that D35. That goes for the gears or even the waste of money super 35 kit. If you can afford to think about the super 35 kit, then you can afford to think about putting the 8.8 in there.

The problem isn't the axles/gears, it's the housing. Nothing about the super 35 kit addresses the VERY weak housing.

erocrocks

a buddy of mine has a super 30 and 35 kit, its get exspensive, he has a detroit in the rear and broken his carrer only, and not axles, i have a lock rit in the fon of my stock 30 and have broken it twice, and the 35 has never broken on me, if you want 35's then you need bigger axles, or one soft foot, and no lockers

my opion, anyone say other wise?

RockChucker

don't put money in the d35! it is not worth it. do as wayne was saying and get an 8.8! i picked one up for $500 with 31 spline chromo shafts and a stock limited slip. i used the brackets off a housing i had laying around and had six states set up the axle for me. now, not only do i have a beefy axle, i have disk brakes and the good feeling of not having a d35. if i'm not mistaken, badcop has a 8.8 for sale for like $300. i would definitely do that before regearing that d35. i'm pretty sure that the 8.8 comes stock with 3.73's too, and if you plan to run 33's, that isn't too bad of a combo, since that is what i have. if you have to regear the front to match those 3.73's, there are people on here that have used gear sets. all it takes is a wanted post in the wanted section.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
If the 4.88s are cheap I'd go that route.
I was debating this a few months ago and found a D35 with a detroit, and a D 30 with a lockright 4.56's non c-clip, complete axles on KSL for $400.00
If I break anything I still have all my stock stuff. So for the right price cheap may work.
I have a pretty light throttle foot also.
I'm also running 33's and I'd recomend the 4.88's

Just my 2 centses. :p

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Like others have mentioned, try to avoid putting $$ into the D35. 4.88s in a LP D30 is not a very good idea either.

If you must, Gaylons driveline get my vote.