Get new Reciever Hitch or Load Leveling Hitch?

Brad J

post-1-1197647012.jpg

I have a 99 F250 SD w/ a V-10 and was suprised to see such low #'s on the reciever hitch of 5000 lbs w/o weight distributing. I have used my 86 2wd Suburban (w/ 454) to tow my Scout loaded on my 18' trailer everytime so far & its done great. It's a little on the slow side going up hills but very smooth & stable. I'm not sure how much the Scout weighs but I'm guessing 5-6k. My trailer is from Lone Peak & is a 7k trailer w/ a winch added on the front. I am newer to towing and have never towed w/ a load leveling/equilizer hitch. I saw the Equal-i-zer Weight Distributing Equalizer Hitch but was shocked at seeing a price up to $800 but found this one advertised for $407. Is it worth the hastle for towing the Scout to go play?
http://www.adventurerv.net/equalizer-weight-distribution-equalizer-hitch-10000-lbs-p-1377.html
Should I go this route or just get a new Reciever hitch for $200 to $260 rated at 10k/12k?
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/c-665-ford-f-250f-350-super-duty.aspx
Also I saw the 2.5" receivers also available w/ a 12k/15k capacity. Which route should I go? I want to be safe & get home in one piece every time.
Thanks, Brad

LT.

A weight distributing hitch will do. With that said you will also like how the weight distributing hitch will make your trailer and tow rig feel more stable. Just replacing the receiver hitch will give you the ability to haul larger loads but it will not make the load more stable. Also with the correct weight distributing hitch you can also adjust for different loads and you can also get an anti sway bar on the hitch. If you are not over the 10,000 lbs then get the load distributing hitch. If you are over the weight then think about getting a larger receiver.

LT.

Bart

A few comments from the peanut gallery. First, Adventure RV is the cheapest place to buy stuff like that. Good choice. 2nd. I'm putting one of those 2.5" receivers on my dady's truck this week so we can run a 2' extension off the back. They are BEEFY. Third, I have a used weight distribution hitch like that one I'd let go for $250 if you're interested.

Brad J

Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on towing anything more than my Scout right now (7K) so I'll leave the Hitch alone for now. I do like the sound of it feeling more stable when pulling.

Bart, can you PM me the details on your weight distributing hitch (chains or bars, sway control?) & your contact info.

Thanks, Brad

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
A few comments from the peanut gallery. First, Adventure RV is the cheapest place to buy stuff like that. Good choice. 2nd. I'm putting one of those 2.5" receivers on my dady's truck this week so we can run a 2' extension off the back. They are BEEFY. Third, I have a used weight distribution hitch like that one I'd let go for $250 if you're interested.

I had one of these Titan V's on my stroker back in the day. I ran a 48" extension and towed my CJ on a hauler behind my 11' camper with ease. I still have the extension if anyone can use it make me an offer.