gettin my zuk suspension together....spy pics

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i am finally getting my zuk buggy going. it has been a labor of overwhelming heat but it is taking shape. i have the lower links done and 75% of the upper A-link finished. the mounts are welded to the axle as of tonight and the coil bucket design is brewing in my cranium as I type. the dana-44 axles are from a mid 70s cherokee and are dirty as sin!!! special thanks goes out to my brothers, marc and greg, james wilson and chad henrie for their help. this isn't just my zuk. it is a community whore machine!!thanks also to some other people who put up with my psychosis......anyway here are some pics...

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
and another axle mount pic...if you are wondering, the upper link is attached by bushings at the axle and a hefty heim up at the crossmember......the lower links are hefty ag heims on both ends. the axle attachment is experimental and stolen from skys extreme offroads rig. the mount is 1" bar steel welded through the mount and drilled for a nice tight fit on the heim. we figure all the forces to be minimal in lateral directions so a grade 5 pin would suffice. the heim fits perfectly with little or no wobble on the 1" bar steel.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here is a pic of mocking up my crossmember. please feel free to comment......i am a tough guy i can take some critical criticism if it saves my ass down the road a ways......

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here is a better shot of the quick release heim. i figure that is is as strong as a bolt any day of the week and fits just as nice. the ag heims are cheap so i can go through 5 of the before i hit the cost of a nice aerospace heim.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Lookin' good Spence! When do you expect it to all come together? I want to see it working! Now the questions......

How wide are the Dana's? 62"?
What will the rest of the drivetrain consist of?
Why a pin and not a bolt?
Why not build the lower mount on the front of the Axle Tube, rather on the bottom, where rocks can catch it?
What coils are you using?
Whats the plan for the front suspension?

OK, that should keep you busy answering for a few minutes......

:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I have no pix to back up my bull****, but how do you plan to get any twist out of the suspention? ok the lower links will twist to an extent, If the front of the lower link is heimed then kudos.
the upper link looks as though it is planned on being mounted solid. that will stop most twistability. Espetially since the top links are solid mounted. I am fairly familiar with 1/4 eliptic but not coil. Throw a heim on the cab side of the upper link to get the twist you are looking for. Now I need to check back....
Shouldn't this be in tech?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ummm k sky we're gonna need to do some reading. please read post #2.

How wide are the Dana's? 62"?

i believe so. the spring perches are 42" or close therto

What will the rest of the drivetrain consist of?

probably zuk for now. sidekick 1.6 16v FI in the future plans oh and an automatic tranny from said sidekick. deep gears in the diffs and a pretty deep t-case 4,5 or 6:1 are availible for the stock t-case.

Why a pin and not a bolt?

cuz it looks kind cool but not entirely trail practical so it might get bolted.

Why not build the lower mount on the front of the Axle Tube, rather on the bottom, where rocks can catch it?

because we wanted to be different and lazy and incorporate it all into one setup.

What coils are you using?

coils are going to be ford aerostar rear coils or XJ stock fronts. i am leaning towards aerostars because of their soft springrate.

Whats the plan for the front suspension?

might go leafs if i get sick of building it and wanna wheel it. but that means outboarding the spring perches and a lot or work so coils up front also might be a lot easier.

like i said this is my first go at building a link suspension on a literal shoestring budget. we will put it all together and run it and look for weak spots. i still have to rip it all apart and do a second pass on all the welds and paint the whole thing. it will be an interesting journey that is for sure. :D