Ghost or Disk Copy not working w/ Vista?

Brad J

I got a good deal on a 750 GB Sata HD to replace my 250 GB Sata HD running 32 bit Vista. I intend to keep the original HD disconnected when done for a backup. I have run Ghost 7.5 (bootable floppy) & Copy Commander (bootable CD) several dozed times w/ XP and Windows 2000 in the past w/o problems. I also installed Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic 8.0 onto the PC and tried my luck w/ those. Vista sucks. Nothing works. Vista must have some important files hiding:confused: Any one had any luck? Is there a trick to get it to work? I've spent 3 days messing w/ it & I'm almost ready to do a clean install. I use this PC mostly as a DVR.

Thanks, Brad J

78mitsu

try a product called gparted, it's the gnome partition editor. It's worked every time for me. it's a bootable cd that will copy/resize any partition. Unless Vista is using some alternate filesystem.

Caleb

That's odd because even if there are hidden files, generally those programs are on the block level. So they don't give a rats ass what kind of files or if their hidden, etc. These type of things makes me love me OS X even more :D I'll echo 78's suggestion of gparted.

Brad J

try a product called gparted, it's the gnome partition editor. It's worked every time for me. it's a bootable cd that will copy/resize any partition. Unless Vista is using some alternate filesystem.

That's odd because even if there are hidden files, generally those programs are on the block level. So they don't give a rats ass what kind of files or if their hidden, etc. These type of things makes me love me OS X even more :D I'll echo 78's suggestion of gparted.

I have now tried gparted & love the way it looks & works but it doesn't work w/ Vista:-\ It looks like a real keeper though:)

Is ghost running in dos? Can it read ntfs?

Edit: here's a quick google search that turns up a solution to your problem: http://www.techsupportforum.com/841504-post6.html

Thanks Shane, I tried that BCDEDIT using my Ghost 7.5 & it didn't work. It looks like I need to find Ghost 8.0 & give that a try. Thanks for the help guys. I'm starting to hate Computers:mad:

Brad J

Just to update. I got a copy of a corporate edition of Ghost & ran it last night & it worked:D I couldn't get anything else to work with Vista but this did the job. I now have almost 500 GB free instead of running out of space every week or two.
Thanks for you suggestions guys:)