Give yourself a pat on the back...

81Ramchargerman

I guess I never realized how much work, time, dedication, and money goes into you guys' rigs...you guys really deserve a pat on the back. As one new to the world of how much older trucks really cost, I have alot of respect for you guys. :) After just some tune up stuff, I realize I have a long road ahead of me to get my truck ready for serious off-roading...pretty daunting to say the least. Thousands of $$$ at 8 bucks an hour= lots of work for me!!! :ugh:

81Ramchargerman

In the really near future I am looking at: rear driveline, rear brakes, water pump, need thermostat immediately, blower motor on it's way out, all new weather stripping, floor has hole in it (can't wait for the day I step in and go through the floor), Etc., Etc., Etc.,

I try to look at the bright side though. Eventually I plan to have 4 suspension 5 point harnes seats in it, full exocage, the 318 with intake, headers, cam, crank, pistons, etc., new body all blasted and rhinolined on the bottom, stock waterproof interior, pretty nice paint job, 6" may just stay with a 4" lift, 35's or 7's, 1 ton axles or at least 3/4 ton, lockers, etc. It's nice even just to dream about it...

edit: BTW, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
James K said:
do it in moderation and it won't seem so overwhelming ;)
this coming from the guy that's putting "inverted cowels" on his hood....
James you need a new project... how about a new frame for my truck? :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
81Ramchargerman said:
In the really near future I am looking at: rear driveline, rear brakes, water pump, need thermostat immediately, blower motor on it's way out, all new weather stripping, floor has hole in it (can't wait for the day I step in and go through the floor), Etc., Etc., Etc.,

I try to look at the bright side though. Eventually I plan to have 4 suspension 5 point harnes seats in it, full exocage, the 318 with intake, headers, cam, crank, pistons, etc., new body all blasted and rhinolined on the bottom, stock waterproof interior, pretty nice paint job, 6" may just stay with a 4" lift, 35's or 7's, 1 ton axles or at least 3/4 ton, lockers, etc. It's nice even just to dream about it...

edit: BTW, thanks for the words of encouragement.

see you have plan......................now it may take a while to achieve said plan, but it is better to do it a little at a time and gain respect and pride from what you have done and learned. then to throw a bunch of money at it all at once and say look what I got.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
onetuff76 said:
this coming from the guy that's putting "inverted cowels" on his hood....
James you need a new project... how about a new frame for my truck? :D

WHAT????????

its just time to refresh the outside and make it look respectable again :p :D

81Ramchargerman

James K said:
see you have plan......................now it may take a while to achieve said plan, but it is better to do it a little at a time and gain respect and pride from what you have done and learned. then to throw a bunch of money at it all at once and say look what I got.

LOL, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to...just do it all at once. But that is a good point. It is just so daunting, but the end reward will be so worth it. Do people in this forum not like me because I'm from Idaho or what? No one really seems to respond to my threads...or do they just not generate alot of attention?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
81Ramchargerman said:
LOL, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to...just do it all at once. But that is a good point. It is just so daunting, but the end reward will be so worth it. Do people in this forum not like me because I'm from Idaho or what? No one really seems to respond to my threads...or do they just not generate alot of attention?

WHAT ...............YOUR FROM...................IDAHO............ :eek: :eek: ................THIS CONVERSTION IS OVER :ugh: :sick:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TELFORD

its a work in progress
Idaho is for RETARDS..

I'm one of them. Stick to your plan, building your rig is half the fun of all this.

I know exactly what you mean Ramchargerman. I used to tinker with my old 84' Bronco, but never anything serious. But when I bought my 81' I decided to really get my hands dirty.

I'm rebuilding the motor, transfer case, and rear end by myself and so far I'm pretty over whelmed. But, being as that this is my new hobby I'm trying to take it all in stride.

Note - It is amazing though to find out how your rig was treated before you owned it. My friend and I were cleaning up my engine bay this weekend since it doesn't cost any money and figured since my motor is out I might as well. Upon removing 20 years worth of oil and grease from the engine crossmember we discovered a huge crack where one of the TTB brackets bolts too. Someone had a good time in my Bronco before I owned it. Now I get to have someone weld it up and plate it.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
81Ramchargerman said:
I guess I never realized how much work, time, dedication, and money goes into you guys' rigs...you guys really deserve a pat on the back. As one new to the world of how much older trucks really cost, I have alot of respect for you guys. :) After just some tune up stuff, I realize I have a long road ahead of me to get my truck ready for serious off-roading...pretty daunting to say the least. Thousands of $$$ at 8 bucks an hour= lots of work for me!!! :ugh:

Just keep dumping money into it and then one day magic will happen....your pocketbook will be empty and that is when you go wheelin!! KENNETH !!

81Ramchargerman

I think I am gonna be way easy on it now, if really wheelin it at all since I came way too close to rollin it on Sat. Must be nice to have slick rock traction... I was climbin a hill when I turned to pretty good mud, but was slightly off camber and I came too close to rolling it. It was sliding sideways down through the mud and we would have rolled at least 3 times, if we were lucky.