GM 5.3 V8s

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Should I be affraid to consider a Chev Tahoe with a 115,000 showing on the odometer?

I'm looking at a 2001 Tahoe with high miles. This thing is immaculate inside and out and the CarFax comes back spotless. Are these V8s know for being pieces of crap, or is there a lot of life left in this motor?

Just curious as to what RME would say.

Thanks,
Dan.

PS The price is right!!!

78mitsu

TRNDRVR said:
Should I be affraid to consider a Chev Tahoe with a 115,000 showing on the odometer?

I'm looking at a 2001 Tahoe with high miles. This thing is immaculate inside and out and the CarFax comes back spotless. Are these V8s know for being pieces of crap, or is there a lot of life left in this motor?

Just curious as to what RME would say.

Thanks,
Dan.

PS The price is right!!!

If it was well maintained, you'll get another 80-100k out of it, that engine will be at 1600 rpm at 70 miles an hour with 3.73 gears, compared to an older truck 70 miles an hour was 2900 rpm, plus with modern lubricants and precision machining, engines in general will last longer. I've seen them with 160k that you can pull the stick on at 3000 miles and the oil is still clean. they do seem to use a little more oil the older they get.

Meat_

Banned
IIRC my dad's has 160K hard miles on it, it's got a slight hesitation just off an idel and occasionally a miss... I'm sure it's something simple, just haven't taken it to a computer, it has lost a few mpg (does about 15~16 now) but it will still spin the tires at will (both, limited 4.11's, auto) and doesn't burn oil.

Oh, and with the 4.11's it's about 2k at 70

78mitsu

also, they're a 6 bolt main and a roller cam and lifter setup stainless steel valves and aluminum heads from the factory, they're built for performance and longevity.