Good & Bad of Biodiesel???

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Thanks for the info, definitely some things to consider on retailing this product. At this point, our plan is to go forward with the biodiesel (still waiting on a new pump for our store), I really appreciate all the input on the subject.

Thanks.

Give us an address, I would love to support you when I am in the area!!

Meat_

Banned
My pops put a tank of bio in his Dodge... ended up costing him $1200 for the injectors and lift pump it destroyed (actually the junk it washed through as Marc pointed out). Seems the dealership is getting trucks on a regular basis with the same situation.

Maybe his lift pump was tits up and the dirtier filter from the cleansing of the bio was enough to kill the injector pump?

C22

Give us an address, I would love to support you when I am in the area!!

Our store is located at 2193 S. Orchard Drive in Bountiful (Corner 22 Conoco-Phillips station). Easiest way to our store is take the 2600 S. Exit off I-15 and head east.... 2600 S. turns into Orchard Drive, we're just across the street from the Dick's Supermarket.

I'll update the thread as we get closer to having the biodiesel (still trying to locate a pump, the last one we had to replace took 6 weeks???).

Thanks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Our store is located at 2193 S. Orchard Drive in Bountiful (Corner 22 Conoco-Phillips station). Easiest way to our store is take the 2600 S. Exit off I-15 and head east.... 2600 S. turns into Orchard Drive, we're just across the street from the Dick's Supermarket.

I'll update the thread as we get closer to having the biodiesel (still trying to locate a pump, the last one we had to replace took 6 weeks???).

Thanks.

SWEET! I shop at that grocery a LOT (It's WAY out of my way, but you don't have to use one of those stupid cards). I'll come by to buy some fuel and support your store.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Maybe his lift pump was tits up and the dirtier filter from the cleansing of the bio was enough to kill the injector pump?

It really could have been some combination as such... but I personally lost alot of faith in Dodge engineering after the incident...

1. Lift pump failures are a joke to begin with... can they not figure out a better design after all this time. And if not, can they at least figure out a simple sensor to let you know your trashing your injector pump?

2. I've got a 10 year old Eureka vacuum that has better filter technology and engineering than OE Dodge filters. I can fully understand the crud from 3 years of reg. diesel lining the fuel system like cholesterol, but why is the Dodge filter not doing an adequate job. According to the dealer the injectors were plugged full of debris, how does it sneak past the filter?? Does it solidify AFTER the filter where its warmer? Doesn't make sense, crappy engineering IMHO.

Oh, and his OE filter wasn't that old at the time... it had been serviced at the dealership just a few weeks before his load of bio. I think bio is awesome... and overall it seems to work for most. Though a quick google search will pull up alot of less than satisfied customers. Does it sell more than the loud mouth of one truck that it trashes?? Likely?

Houndoc

I think one key thing to remember is that people are going to post and complain when something goes wrong, not right. We are alwyas trying to point fingers at something that may or may not have been the cause. Any reports out there of problems after a load of bio may or may not have been cuased by the bio. A major repair always sucks and it is nice to find something to blame (wish I could do that for my dad's G.C. that needed a new engine on the way to Lake Powell last week with 94k).

People without problems usually say little or nothing.

Looking at it scientifically, to say if bio was causing problems you would need to know the frequency of certain repairs overall, then compare the number of them in vehicles running the different fuels, as a percent of vehicles running each fuel type.

In otherwords, it is near impossible to tease out the facts.

I would look at places like Brazil that have gone near completely bio (any engine differences???) and figure it is the direction to go.