good idea?

cheapzuk

So I am kinda in the market for a trailer and notice that almost everyweek there is a boat trailer or two for cheap in the paper. What if I bought one of those and put a deck on it?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cheapzuk said:
So I am kinda in the market for a trailer and notice that almost everyweek there is a boat trailer or two for cheap in the paper. What if I bought one of those and put a deck on it?
They are not built that strong, you might get 3500lb trailer out of one. But, it does depend on the size of the boat it carried.

Caleb

Shawn said:
They are not built that strong, you might get 3500lb trailer out of one. But, it does depend on the size of the boat it carried.

I agree, they just don't seem like they are very strong. Most I have delt with (smaller speed boat ones) will flex if you just stand on them on one side or in a corner or something. Another thing about them is alot of them are bolt together with u-bolts.

Bad idea I think...

grinch

inner city redneck
You will need a dual axle trailer for towing are kind of toys. Find out the amount of weight the axles can hold. Needs to be a couple thousand pounds more than the toys you are pulling to be safe.
If it is a bolt together frame then break out the welder and fix that problem. Put in a few more trusses to add to the rigidity of the frame. Build a flat deck to park on and I guess you would have a trailer..
Im betting at that point you really wouldn't be money ahead. Steel costs money and then there's all the time you have involved with the project......

Last edited:
It is a sami so you're only looking at like 2700 lbs. If you find a big enough trailer it might work out for ya. Heck I wouldn't even build a deck, maybe just some rails and go with that.