good mud tires

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in but I'm looking for some good mud terrain tires for my 77 Bronco. I don't want a 60k tire. My Bronco probably goes less than 3000 a year. I trailer it when I take it out if I'm going far. I'm looking for a softer rubber tire that'll stick to the rocks better without spending a fortune if that's possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I really liked the new General Grabbers I ran on my last Jeep. I have the BFG KM2's now, and I like them, I just don't like how noisy they are now that they have some mileage on them. If the Grabber's were available in the size I need, I would run them ahead of the KM2's. I'd consider the newer MTR's if they weren't directional, and the number of older MTR's that I've destroyed still has a lingering bad taste in my mouth.

The Maxxis Bighorns were pretty good, but I wouldn't say they were better than the KM2's. Probably about the same.

STAG

On my grind
They aren't directional... They just have an "inside" and and "outside", but when you rotate your tires you don't have to dismount them from the rim like you do with directional tires.

Its no different than saying "I want the white sidewall letters on the inside" or vice-versa.

flexyfool

GDW
$200/tire for MT/R's
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/35...?t_c=13&t_s=163&t_pt=100893&t_pn=GDY750712326

I ran 36x12.5/15 bias Swamper SX's on a CJ7 and an early Bronco. The SX is tops for mud, loose hill climbs, and sharp rocks. The sidewalls are nearly indestructible. Performance on slick rock is quite good too, but you have to cut the center blocks and run real low air pressure with bead locks. 8-10 PSI won't get the job done. The SX is my all-time favorite tire for a trailered rig that sees varied terrain.

Last edited:

wheelewagon

Every time we go out wheeling the subject of tires gets brought up. And every time someone else that sees how well out treps preform gets converted to them. Including me. I'm not A dealer or have anything special with maxxis, I've just seen their performance first hand. They're just and awesome tire. there's another thread going on right now with someone looking for new tires and I shared A story with how impressive they are if you want to look at that thread as well. Like skippy said they are actually cheaper then the Km2's. The only problem is you have to step up to A 35 which I know a lot of people don't like to do. But from your other post it looks like you're going to run A 35 anyway. XjNate swears by his Km2's though. Wheeling down in St George with him they did pretty well. But I think even he would switch to the treps from KM2's if he went 35's. But he runs 33's and is happy with the KM2's. I could be wrong on his conversion to the treps though.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
How are you guys that are running Treps on your street trucks liking them? I'm in love with my KM2s for a daily driver/weekend wheeler, but I'd switch to a cheaper tire when these wear out if the Treps are as good on pavement as they are on the dirt.

wheelewagon

How are you guys that are running Treps on your street trucks liking them? I'm in love with my KM2s for a daily driver/weekend wheeler, but I'd switch to a cheaper tire when these wear out if the Treps are as good on pavement as they are on the dirt.

Here's the story I told from the other thread

So story time. I was coming home from WOTR 2013 driving my jk behind skippy in his jk. Both running 37's on 17's. I was running toyo M/T's he had Maxxis treps. We were cruising along highway 36 doing close to prob 70-75 mph when we hit A snow storm. Skippy was able to keep his exact speed without A single hiccup. I on the other hand immediately started to fish tail. I ended up having to put it in 4H and do Maybe A max of 50mph before starting to get squirly. It didn't take long at all for me to switch to treps. Treps really are the bees knees.

They actually wear surprisingly well also. They're everybit as quite or more then the toyos I was running also.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
Have any of you run the pitbull tires? I've seen them in Moab and was impressed with them till I priced them. I'd like to go cheaper than those if I could but was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on them.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Pit bulls blow I ran them on my old YJ buggy and quickly sold them and bought maxxis creepy crawlers, Teh treps have lasted great on my wifes daily driver JK we have about 25k miles on them and I expect them to be completly worn out by about 35-40k and they get used really hard off road...

flexyfool

GDW
Pit bulls blow I ran them on my old YJ buggy and quickly sold them and bought maxxis creepy crawlers, Teh treps have lasted great on my wifes daily driver JK we have about 25k miles on them and I expect them to be completly worn out by about 35-40k and they get used really hard off road...

X2 on the Pitbulls. I've never run them but have seen quite a few on the trail. They always seem to be the worst performing tire in the group. The biggest sizes like the 44-19.50's are popular with truggies looking for something less aggressive than a Super Swamper. When the brand was introduced, people were getting killer deals and claiming they were the best thing since sliced bread. The fever has subsided