Got a couple of questions

blueovalyj

I'm from East Tennessee and have been to Moab a couple of times over the years. The club I'm in (atomic city fourwheelers) is planning a trip out your way in a couple of months.

I was just wondering what the local law enforcement has to say about rigs with tons and no fenders, hydraulic steering..and so forth. The Jeep does have insurance and a tag on it, but it doesn't get driven on the street here...at all. I know there can be some substantial road travel involved with some of the trails out there and was just wondering.

Thanks!!

FWIW here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• rail trail.jpg
    rail trail.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 17

STAG

On my grind
In Moab they are a little more lenient, just as long as you are driving very safely and not recklessly you normally don't get too hassled, however everywhere else, you might as well put flashing lights on your rig that say "look at me, pull me over" ... full tread width coverage is required here, and fully hydraulic steering won't pass safety so thats another thing they could ticket ya for, (hydraulic assist is okay). Also another thing cops look out for here big time are mud flaps. they must cover the full tread width and also come down to at least the center line of the axle (half the height of the tire)

mierdota

x2 they are pretty cool just as long as your not hot roding it or anything. Also if it is registered for the street and not hov
haha ohv

Last edited:

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Thats not entirely true. Yes, they are usually more lenient during Easter Jeep Safari. And if it is registered and insured for street use in your home state. But, like has been said in many threads on this and many forums, the laws are still the laws and they can cite you for any violation. You can take the risk of running it on the streets, but also be prepared for any traffic stops and citations you may get.

ps, the county sheriffs are a lot cooler than the city police. But its usually the UHP that will get you.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Thats not entirely true. Yes, they are usually more lenient during Easter Jeep Safari. And if it is registered and insured for street use in your home state. But, like has been said in many threads on this and many forums, the laws are still the laws and they can cite you for any violation. You can take the risk of running it on the streets, but also be prepared for any traffic stops and citations you may get.

ps, the county sheriffs are a lot cooler than the city police. But its usually the UHP that will get you.

X2 I got pulled over in Moab for not having my mud flaps on. They didn't give me anything because they were looking for drunk drivers. BUT they still can get you if they want:)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Most, if not all the trails are pretty much tow rig & trailer friendly as far as parking goes if you are worried about that. I have no problem towing my junk around town to trail heads... especially with how far out of town some of the trails can be.

But like others have said, if you are enroute to/from trails and not just cruising you might be ok. It's still a risk.

blueovalyj

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it's kind of a toss up depending on who's operating the disco lights.

We'll be headed out that way two months from today, maybe we'll see some of you guys out there.

thanks again.