Grandmas Skylark project

ebryson

There is a lot of random stuff for TPU on the interweb... Let's just say, it's all very confusing with TPU because the "Glass Transition Temp" (GTT) is less than freezing but I haven't been able to find a specific temp that it looses it's elticity. However I have found a temperature range that it can preform at which is also widely disputed, -40 to 120°C. For those of us that like Fahrenheit that's -40 to 248°F.
Now this is where things get fun. Reading from several car forums, tube headers run at a temp anywhere from 350 - 700°F depending on rpm and such. Which is far above TPU's operating range. The reason that tube header temp is important is because the air inlet tube is right above those headers..... TPU melts at around 437°F. Now if I knew the air temp on the bottom of the air inlet tube after he does a drag run, I'd know really quickly if this is feasible. I've thought of trying to print some sort of heat shielding out of ASA and some trapped air, then using TPU as more of gasket but I don't think I'd be able to replicate the look very well with that method.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There is a lot of random stuff for TPU on the interweb... Let's just say, it's all very confusing with TPU because the "Glass Transition Temp" (GTT) is less than freezing but I haven't been able to find a specific temp that it looses it's elticity. However I have found a temperature range that it can preform at which is also widely disputed, -40 to 120°C. For those of us that like Fahrenheit that's -40 to 248°F.
Now this is where things get fun. Reading from several car forums, tube headers run at a temp anywhere from 350 - 700°F depending on rpm and such. Which is far above TPU's operating range. The reason that tube header temp is important is because the air inlet tube is right above those headers..... TPU melts at around 437°F. Now if I knew the air temp on the bottom of the air inlet tube after he does a drag run, I'd know really quickly if this is feasible. I've thought of trying to print some sort of heat shielding out of ASA and some trapped air, then using TPU as more of gasket but I don't think I'd be able to replicate the look very well with that method.
You could use a digital meat thermometer to take some readings. There are some starting around $10 on Amazon. :) There are wireless ones too, if you want to get fancy.

Or just print some TPU and stick it under there, and see how it is affected before printing a large thing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
How many smiles per mile? (At 10.23 MPG)

Driving up there were a lot of smiles. Cool air, engine rumbling noises, little traffic and lots of open space in front of you. I had a bug hit my windshield just before Smith and Edward's so I bailed to 89. That was very pleasant, almost cold at times.

Drive back kind of sucked once we got into Ogden. Traffic backed up to 84 ramp from Roy, 90* temps. Still fun that the car got home without a trailer

Last edited: