Graveyard Flats Death

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think that copious amounts of beer in the tent is a requirement for camping there.:D At least that's what I remember!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I found it odd that the group of atv'ers approached this tent in the first place...? Maybe it's just me, but I don't approach tent sites just because there aren't any vehicles nearby :confused:

utahxjer

I found it odd that the group of atv'ers approached this tent in the first place...? Maybe it's just me, but I don't approach tent sites just because there aren't any vehicles nearby :confused:

x4! That's the 1st thing I thought of

KWight

I was up there yesterday afternoon

(Edit: I meant that I was up there Monday afternoon) I had not visited this area in over 5 years and wanted to go and see what it looked like. My wife and two children went to Timp Cave so I got to take the youngest three for a ride while they were on their outing.

I saw a blue and silver/white tent in the trees to the upper right of the cemetary and the Honda Civic that was parked just before the Forest Lake turnoff. I wondered how adventurous an individual had to be to get a Civic up that far as I have been up that road many times in the past. I thought that it was a hiker that had gone to Forest Lake.

I was surprised to see two camping sites either right at the Cemetary or right next to it (as this one was). I was shocked at a route that some people had cut right across the cemetary (stay the trail folks!). The last time I had been up to Graveyard Flats some Boy Scout had restored the Cemetary for his Eagle Scout project. There was a fence around the Cemetary and wooden markers (crosses) on the sites. This time I wandered around through the brush and found 15 sites where rocks had been piled to mark the sites and keep the animals from disturbing them.

On a side note, if anyone has been up Miller Hill or to George Tyng's gravesite recently, I would like to see a trip report and pictures. I did not have the time to make the trip this year while I was up there and a 4 hour drive is a bit far for me to make it up there more often.

Kevin

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I was surprised to see two camping sites either right at the Cemetary or right next to it (as this one was). I was shocked at a route that some people had cut right across the cemetary (stay the trail folks!). The last time I had been up to Graveyard Flats some Boy Scout had restored the Cemetary for his Eagle Scout project. There was a fence around the Cemetary and wooden markers (crosses) on the sites. This time I wandered around through the brush and found 15 sites where rocks had been piled to mark the sites and keep the animals from disturbing them...

Stay tuned in the coming months for a solution to that ;)

KWight

Stay tuned in the coming months for a solution to that ;)

Thanks for your work on that Kurt, Please keep us updated as I might be up for planning another trip out that way with my kids and could help out with this. I would love to see a group of people take this kind of project on.

On another note: Do you know anything about the trail to Miller Hill and George Tyng's gravesite? I hope this area is still in good condition as it was years ago when I was up there last. I would like to think that the remoteness of the area has protected it from damage by vandals.

Kevin

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...On another note: Do you know anything about the trail to Miller Hill and George Tyng's gravesite? I hope this area is still in good condition as it was years ago when I was up there last. I would like to think that the remoteness of the area has protected it from damage by vandals.

Kevin

No problems what so ever. I haven't been up there this year but as of last fall it was fine. Descendants of Tyng still upkeep the fence every so often.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So where is graveyard flats? There was alot of cars up there this past weekend and they would bring the suck when getting behind them cause they wouldn't allow passing and going way slow. I tried to find Tyng's grave but couldn't find it, where is it?

KWight

Tyng's Gravesite

So where is graveyard flats? There was alot of cars up there this past weekend and they would bring the suck when getting behind them cause they wouldn't allow passing and going way slow. I tried to find Tyng's grave but couldn't find it, where is it?

Take the road towards Mineral Basin then take a left at Dutchman Flats. There is a information kiosk that has been set up by the Forest Service at the middle of this area. Take that road across Dutchman Flats and continue on down one hill that is on the mine tailings then up the mountain. When you come to a fork in the road bear right. If you continue straight it will take you along the edge of the mountain and there will be washed out areas so you won't be able to go further anyways. At the end of the trail you will see his gravesite with a memorial marker and a fence around it. I have not been up there in 7 or 8 years so I hope this helps.

Kevin