GREASE YOUR SWINGARM LINKAGE!!!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Everyone has those little maint tasks that get overlooked. I have been guilty of not lubing swing arm and linkage bearings or head set bearings as often as I should. Well, my son's 250f was squeaking like a newlyweds mattress so I told him to get some grease on them sooner than later. I got a call at work asking how hard they should be to get out. This is what I found when I got home. I think they are toast. Not only were they a bitch to get out, the link is badly worn. He has only had this bike a little over a year so most of this damage was there when he bought it. I'm a firm believer in Mechanical Karma so I am thinking the PO should probably run out of gas on the back side of sand mountain sometime. Anyway, just a reminder that $0.50 of grease is cheaper than $175 of bearings and new linkage.

linkage.jpg

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
After all the recent mud/water rides, I need to make sure my swingarm bearings have good grease! Thanks for the reminder...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Good call. Linkage is right up there with rear shocks being the most neglected items on a dirt bike. Another reason to ride an ATK--you don't have to deal with that linkage nonsense :hickey:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Why are those kinds of comments always limited to newlyweds? Going on 11 years, my beds still squeaks now and then. :eek:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I plan on pulling mine out this winter. From the factory, Yamaha never uses much grease

KTM uses the least amount of grease on new bikes than any I have ever seen. When I bought my new 300 in April and my boys 65 last December, the first thing I did was strip them down and grease all the bearings. The steering stem bearings were practically dry in both bikes.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks you Unstuck. I literally laughed out loud then read your comment to my wife and we both laughed again.

Luckily I found a used linkage on eBay for $25.
I'm tearing my 450 and the TTR apart this week. Thought I should follow my own advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vonski

nothing to see here...
KTM uses the least amount of grease on new bikes than any I have ever seen. When I bought my new 300 in April and my boys 65 last December, the first thing I did was strip them down and grease all the bearings. The steering stem bearings were practically dry in both bikes.

Yup, I do the same thing with my new bikes.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I haven't even been in this thread, and yet you make fun. :(

However, I am going on 11 years without greasing..