Has anyone ever welded with a battery & jumper cables?

81Ramchargerman

I was told that if you really needed to, you could use a coin, a battery, and a set of jumper cables to weld with. Has any one ever actually done this? Would it damage the battery? :confused:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I am going to say no. A small stick welder works at 125A @ 25V DC, I think you would need 4 batteries to build up that voltage and amps, and from there your batteries would just die. Also to make that work you would need some smaller rod, I think a coin would be way too thick to be working with. I bet there is someone out there that will have a better anwer than me. I also think you would be cooking your batteries.

Info taken from a Miller manual

81Ramchargerman

I am not sure if he meant with the truck running and it hooked to the battery or what, that would mean you would have the power of the battery as well as the alternator... Would that be enough? I am almost positive that just trying to run it off of a battery would mean a ruined battery.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
81Ramchargerman said:
I was told that if you really needed to, you could use a coin, a battery, and a set of jumper cables to weld with. Has any one ever actually done this? Would it damage the battery? :confused:

I personally haven't welded this way but, was with a group that did. We used two batteries in series, a set of jumper cables, and a nickle then a penny, and three sets of sunglasses! Welded the tab that holds the u-joint in the yoke on the rear of a D44. The weld looked bad but, it held all weekend! KENNETH !!

ZUK

81Ramchargerman said:

when ya gonna try it? I bet nickels works the best. That's my 2 cents. :)

kgb

You can do it, their's kit that you can buy or build with cables and rods and it works really well. My boss in AZ did it all the time and built the kit
Can't find the info right now but I will look into it
From Pirate
Battery Welding: here are some brief instructions on welding with batteries. First of all, you need at least two car batteries, but three is better. The reason for this is that you need about 36 volts to get a decent arc from the weld rod. You must wire the batteries in a series fashion. You can use a few sets of jumper cables to do so. The batteries must be as far away from the welding as possible! Also cover them with a blanket or tarp incase of an explosion.

Three batteries: From the first battery, attach a cable from positive to negative of the second battery. Then from the second battery, connect a cable from the positive to the negative of the third battery. Now, your welding rod cable will go from your positive side on your third battery, and the ground cable will come off the negative side of the first battery. Your ready to weld now! Be real careful!!!!!!

This will produce 36 volts and about 250 amps. .

Another web
Welding with Batteries:
So, can you really weld with a couple of 12V batteries?
Yes, quite well in fact. I find 3 in series (36V) work better that 2 (24V) but in a pinch use what you got. You'll need some welding rod, a rod holder (jumper cable clamp might work in a pinch) some jumper cables and some batteries. If everyone in your wheeling group has a set of jumper cables, you are set. Hook cable to each battery, then connect the red of one to the black of the next one and so on, finally ending up with one black clamp and one red one and 24 or 36V between the two. Keep the batteries as far back from the welding location as you can, especially if they are not sealed units. A fire extinguisher is a good idea and some basic welding safety equipment like heavy gloves and a face shield with minimum #10 tint lens.

So what kind of rod should I get:

Last edited:

olywrestle

Duct Tape
81Ramchargerman said:
I am not sure if he meant with the truck running and it hooked to the battery or what, that would mean you would have the power of the battery as well as the alternator... Would that be enough? I am almost positive that just trying to run it off of a battery would mean a ruined battery.

this would be really bad too do with the truck running and hooked up to an alternator...can send back through the electical system and fry your PCM/ECM and alternator..... batteries in a series is much smarter

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Two batteries works, but three makes the welds pertier.

Works great, just don't build yourself a cage or somthing without recharging the batteries.

So far Ive been with a group that welded a controll arm bracket back on an XJ, a broken pitman arm, and I was sleeping while this other one was going on but they welded I believe a pennie to the u-joint cap or somthing like that.

I carry 6 or so rods of 7018 and a full helmet. As well as two sets of jumpers.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Ready Welders works on two car batteries.i know it's not exactlly the same thing .one being wire and the other being stick.you can also use the three battery method as well