Has visitation in Utah's Wasatch canyons reached a tipping point?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
KSL Article: Has visitation in Utah's Wasatch canyons reached a tipping point?

In the Cottonwood Canyons and AFC, it has gotten ridiculous!
I, for one, would like to see a usage fee and a quota or permit based system go into place for the canyons. People will cry foul, discrimination against the less well heeled, that you won't be able to spontaneously just go for a hike anymore, etc. But with how many people are just crushing into the canyons, its only responsible that we do something to limit the traffic and generate some revenue to put back into the canyons.

Caleb

I haven't read the article yet, but their stats are a little misleading. They state 2.2 Million acres and 5 million visitors. That makes it sound like a person per ~1/2 acre. The problem is those 5 million visitors are all visiting the same space and not the full 2.2 million acres.

I rarely go up the canyons anymore because of how nuts it is. I hate most people and then being crammed in a small canyon with tons of idiots, it's more stressful than it is relaxing. This is part of why we decided to buy a cabin, I no longer have to worry about finding a camp spot on holiday weekends, I don't have to worry about what the other idiots are going to do, etc. I just go and enjoy not seeing another person unless I want to. :)

I'm of the same opinion as you Stephen.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
They just need to cap housing on any county that has emissions requirements. No new housing units unless you tear down an existing. If we're at capacity then we're out of capacity in other places outside the canyon. The high density housing supporters need to be put in check.
Absolutely. The state is fast reaching carrying capacity in terms of water. Not only do we not have the water storage infrastructure; we don't have the resources to support this purported 5 million people that will be in the state come 2050 (or sooner). So this push to stuff more people into smaller spaces is stupid. But hey, thats what you get when most members of the legislator and any given local government are in the real estate business.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
But hey, thats what you get when most members of the legislator and any given local government are in the real estate business.

In fairness, I think nearly any good state with a good economy is feeling a housing shortage. It's not just a Utah problem.

I remember a couple years ago Montana's population passed 1 million people, and they were all complaining that it was too crowded.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Definitely too many people in the valley as a whole and way too much emphasis on high density housing currently going in.

Also, the wife booked camping at Little Mill up AFC this (holiday!) weekend. #prayforme

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Definitely too many people in the valley as a whole and way too much emphasis on high density housing currently going in.

Also, the wife booked camping at Little Mill up AFC this (holiday!) weekend. #prayforme

Don't, .... do... don't.... do take a firearm. You may want to use it on someone. Bunch of dumbassery up there on weekends like this from my perspective.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Don't, .... do... don't.... do take a firearm. You may want to use it on someone. Bunch of dumbassery up there on weekends like this from my perspective.

the air is abuzz with the sound of mosquitoes aka side by sides driving up and down the canyon. the loud exhausts they put on them makes me hate the fact they're street legal.

Tebbsjeep

the air is abuzz with the sound of mosquitoes aka side by sides driving up and down the canyon. the loud exhausts they put on them makes me hate the fact they're street legal.

Didn't a bunch of campgrounds ban 2 stroke dirt bikes for the same reason? They're too loud? I have a guy that rips his UTV up and down our road late at night. I hate it.

DAA

I've stopped. The SXS's were the tipping point for me. A.F. is just too narrow and choked up with crazy idiots to enjoy at this point.

Heck, three wheelers killed it for me. Haven't been there since four wheel ATV's were invented. But I have to imagine, if I thought the three wheelers killed it, I'd probably think the SxS's were simply desecrating the rotten corpse at this point.

- DAA

Corban_White

I don't think fees are the answer. I do think they should have a max number of cars. Once that number is reached, no more cars in until one comes out. Easy to do in dead end canyons like LCC, slightly harder in BCC and AFC. Either way, I rarely go up there anymore. If I do it's to the resort or a weekday motorcycle ride.

OldGeezer

I remember when fees were first instituted in AFC... the crowds vanished, the trash was cleaned up, the facilities were spruced up. It was nice to visit. Then ATVs' were invented and the hordes returned. It's been downhill ever since. I visit once in a while every 4 or 5 years now. Reminds me to stay away.

ID Bronco

I don't know where I stand on the original post, but some of the rivers here near me in Idaho have similar problems during specific times of the year. Tons of boats crowding the river and launch sites/parking areas. As a local, it drives me nuts. Way over half of the vehicles are out of staters. I hate it. I think something similar to what Montana does would be good. Guides can only operate on certain days of the week. Out of State folks can only float on certain days of the week and on the remaining days it's locals (Idahoans) only. I hate govt. intervention in forms of new fees/taxes, we all pay those now, but limiting days and boat or vehicle loads has merit. I think these issues (boats and vehicles) are different sides of the same coin. How to protect and enjoy the resource.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
In happier news, we had white rim trail yesterday and hell's revenge today all to ourselves. Was expecting big crowds for a holiday week, but those trails were deserted. It was amazing.

I live basically at the bottom of AF canyon and rarely go up. Not sure if instagram or SXS's are the core cause, but I swear the last 10 years has seen a 10x increase in canyon volume. Use has increased far greater than general Utah population; it is not an issue of high density housing, but easy access.

Maybe strongly enforcing a 15 mph speed limit on all trails would help, or require permits for certain trails ( a la white rim). Would be great to push more folks out to 5 mile pass/west desert and out of the canyon.

Maybe strongly enforcing a 15 mph speed limit on all trails would help, or require permits for certain trails ( a la white rim). Would be great to push more folks out to 5 mile pass/west desert and out of the canyon.

I hate to see more government, but I would support this along with heavy enforcement on the pavement. I camped up there last summer and the number of people, mostly in sxs vehicles, racing up and down the canyon is staggering. The few times when we hiked out and had to hit some pavement to return were pretty scary. When I read the article about the cyclist killed above, I wasn't surprised at all because I've seen the behavior first-hand.