Have you actually seen 5.71's break???

TwistedTJ

Hey guys,

I am looking for actual evidence and not just "I hear they are not very good". Are 5.71's for a Toyota as weak as you hear in rumors?

Read the write up titled "ARE 571 GEARS REALLY THAT WEAK? "on this web page.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/index.htm

Does this guy have a valid point?

I have an automatic toyota with 35's and I NEED lower gears BAD!!! I was going to go with 5.29's but if 5.71's are up for the challenge of rock crawling I would rather go with them. I can not regear my T-case because of the automatic.

Input based on experience would be great...

notajeep

Just me
I just snapped the pinion on my 5.29's. Just a 20r with 55 horse power (60 if I open the door and kick with my foot.) But I do have double t cases with 108 to 1 final drive and 35's. But from what I can tell. the 5.29 and the 5.71 pinions are the same...it is just the ring gear that has fewer teeth. If that is true...I would think that the 5.71 are about just as strong as the 5.29's. But then again...what do I know......I used PIPE on my truck! :)

notajeep

Just me
It broke just below the splines. The bearing cage was also trashed and 2 teeth on the pinion were chipped a little. But i think all that happed after the shaft broke.

Caleb

IMO, that guy is full of it, the breaks I have seen on toy axles (granted that I haven't seen a ton) that have to do with ring and pinion, are generally the pinion itself, and quite often its right above the splines like notajeep said his broke. I know Carl at Rocklogic has suggested 5.29s over 5.71s before due to strength, and I know he knows his toy stuff.

camicaztoy

i've been running genuine gear 5.71's in my 83 for about 6 years. i'm running a hopped up 22r and 35's with detroits. i beat on it pretty hard and have broken 3 birfields and one long side inner shaft. gears have held up just fine. they are a little low for highway use but mine only gets driven around town and on the trails.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
I have witnessed some 5.71s break. My buddy was coming up the last hill out of Cliffhanger...not even gassing it at all (locked f/r) and all of a sudden PING! PING! PING! Stripped a bunch of teeth off the ring gear. They were Yukons. I have also seen 2 different people strip teeth of 5.29s, but they were really getting with it. I think if you actually look at some 5.71s, you'll be convinced not to get them. That pinion is about as big around as my index finger.

TwistedTJ

After looking around and researching it seems that the 5.71's do break often but so do the 5.29's. Lots of people break the 4.10 as well. I guess its all in how you drive and what you plan on doing with it.

Looks like I will probably end up going with 5.29's and hope that they survive.

Thanks for the input guys