Headed to Moab Feb 16-20th

rngrubi

Hey guys, trying to get caught up on the travel plans. It looks like I'll go ahead and reserve the Apache, unless anyone doesn't want to stay there. I can't seem to find a non stop flight from SYR, NY to ABQ, NM. The kids may just have to have a lay over, they are traveling as unaccompanied minors, so that is the difficult part. I think the southern route may be better due to the weather.

Anybody flown in or out of ABQ, NM in the winter? Are there many delays or cancellations due to weather?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the Route from Alb, Nm to Moab stays pretty good during the winter. There isn't much on that road and it is in the middle of no where ( wished I lived on it). Just seems that there isn't enough things/people to require plows to run (right away) if it snows. When I was out there last I came home that way. I think it's Route 666 ( or used to be). Do they maintain it well? Just thinking worse case senerio here...

That route from bernalillo (North of Albuquerque on hwy 550 or hwy 44) is a well maintained road. It is mostly four lanes (two each way). The road was redone into 4 lanes about 5 or so years ago. That will take you to Bloomfield or Shiprock. I think it is safer to go all the way to shiprock and pick up 491/160 into cortez rather than stay 550 into durango. Maybe Greg knows those roads a little better and can give better advice.

Def fill up in Alb or bernalillo because your next real town is bloomfield. It's not a bad drive and you'll have plenty of gas even if you fill up again in bloomfield. But you're right, there is pretty much nothing between Bernalillo and bloomfield.

rondo

rondo
http://www.moab-utah.com/

this is a great website and source. i personally enjoy staying at the cabins. they are heated in winter and cheap. Of course i always go to moab in spring and fall when hotels are priced over 100$ a night. Is there a reason you guys have to come out in Feb? that's a rough time in winter.

Cherokeester

Normally Moab is in the 50's during February which is great wheelin weather. It can get stormy and nasty if you hit it wrong but that can happen in April too as a lot of us know.

rngrubi

http://www.moab-utah.com/

Is there a reason you guys have to come out in Feb? that's a rough time in winter.

pretty much because my kids have a winter break from school that week, and uncle sam hasn't seen fit to give me the month of march off in about 6 years. But seriously, this may be the only opportunity I have to make it with my kids for the next 5 years, so I take full blame for the time frame. Thanks for all of the advice everyone, is anyone else able to make it to ride that week?

xtoy

Only 2 weeks until we leave Atlanta!!

We will be arriving in Moab Sunday the 15th and will be trail riding Monday thru Thursday....

georgia gabe

new windshield is in, new top is on, and seat heaters are installed... lets go wheelin

9b42fee6.jpg

c4419e7c.jpg

4013e9e5.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Seat heaters, sweet!! I camped out in Moab back in October and was in shorts during the day, so you might get lucky and have similar weather in February. And you just might luck out with the snow storms, we have had a weak winter compared to last year and storms have been very weak. Is that President's Day weekend? I wish Slickrock Campground would answer their phones in the winter months, they close their office and you camp on an honor system with a drop box for paying. http://www.slickrockcampground.com/ Hot tubs are always nice when camping I tell you what!! And they don't mind you working on your rig on the property, some places are anal about that down there, so inquire when you call to make reservations.

T3n5oR

just got laid off, might take a afew days off in moab b4 koh. ill keep you posted, but I'd like to have someone to run with. If you dont mind a tag a long?

Ford Prefect

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it yet, or not, but I wanted to be sure I said so before I forget reading all three pages of this thread...

Down south (lived in Louisiana for a while myself) you do a lot of spinning of the tires, just ends up necessary, but you REALLY do not want to do that in Moab. The reason I say that is because the slick rock can have a ton of traction, and when that tire that is slipping catches the rock it will snap the strongest of axles really fast. I have heard of people breaking some pretty stout axles on otherwise pretty easy obstacles... Flip side, slick rock is really slick if it gets wet at all...

Also, the book Greg recommended. If you did not get it, get it! You can find it at almost any 4x4 related store here in Moab.

If you are looking to tag along with anyone, then City Market is the place for you! City Market is a Krouger Owned Grocery store, and they are in the middle of town. It seems to be the meeting place everyone here uses, so you can find rigs in the parking lot, and ask where they are going. This way you may be able to follow someone on Hells Regvenge, or follow people out to certain trails that they may have been to and you do not know how to get to.

I will be in Moab until Monday afternoon, perhaps I can meet you up.

Love the heated seats in the K5! that rocks

Last edited:

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Down south (lived in Louisiana for a while myself) you do a lot of spinning of the tires, just ends up necessary, but you REALLY do not want to do that in Moab. The reason I say that is because the slick rock can have a ton of traction, and when that tire that is slipping catches the rock it will snap the strongest of axles really fast. I have heard of people breaking some pretty stout axles on otherwise pretty easy obstacles... Flip side, slick rock is really slick if it gets wet at all...

Traction is still good on wet slickrock unless there is mud on it.

Ford Prefect

I saw very little snow. In some of the canyons there was about half an inch of hard packed snow, but otherwise, just a touch in the shady areas. Now bad considering that they were planning to have snow all weekend...

georgia gabe

I wanted to thank everyone for their input... it made this one of the best trips of my life. The traction out there is absolutly insane! I expected everything to be much harder than it was, but with all that grip you can pretty much go vertical. most of the action stuff we did was shot in high def video, so Ill have to get it converted. We had no real carnage, just a little soft top damage on Helldorado. (which I did on 2:1 because I forgot to put the 203 in low till after the waterfall). The last line I tried was on green day at BFE... I dont know the name of it, but I was pretty much vertical. I decided that it got the best of me before I put it on its lid from 20ft up.

chadschoon

When I was down there Wednesday-Thursday for work I seen the yota with gorgia plates. Figured it was you guys. Sounds like you had a blast!