Hello from Tennessee, CJ5 project

Harley Jim

Yes there are some really nice upgrades that have been done to it just dont think they rebuilt anything before they put it on. Picked up the new bumper from the powder coater.20190802_155509.jpg Got it all together and ready to go and it is raining too hard to test drive anything. The power has been off for an hour. Guess Ill take the wife out for dinner and test drive tomorrow.

Harley Jim

The new bumper is perfect.
Thanks Hickey, I used 3/16", its way thicker than stock but like Jinx says when in doubt upgrade. The test drive failed I still have the wander in it. i still have a lot of deflection in the shackles. Head scretchin' time. My wife says its the Goodyear tires. I had drive the backup rig to the cruise in20190803_165212.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think 3 degrees of caster could be the issue. It may technically be in spec, but I've always preferred at least 4.5 to 5 degrees. That would require a small shim between the leaf springs and the axle perches.

Harley Jim

I think 3 degrees of caster could be the issue. It may technically be in spec, but I've always preferred at least 4.5 to 5 degrees. That would require a small shim between the leaf springs and the axle perches.
I have had several people say that. When I ordered my parts I got a set of 3 deg. Wedges to try (for testing purposes only). Everything that has been done to date needed to be done, the ball joints were frozen both front shocks were bent the shackles were bad the pitman was stock I installed a 2" drop to level the drag link angle both calipers were stuck. Now I am at the point where I have inspected everything and know what is there. My wife thinks its the tires Im not sure what I think but now it will be one adjustment then a drive then lots more input from everyone here. Going to start monday with the wedges and go from there. Thanks everyone

Harley Jim

The luv belongs to a 17 year old kid, he is a friend of the boy driving the bronco. We call him Buddy Luv. He just rebuilt the stock motor last week.

The bronco has been handed from father to son since new. Grandson is driving it now, it had a frame off a couple years ago
(although it really didnt need it) he cut the front hubs off and rotated them back 6 deg and rewelded everything. I think it got a 6" lift. The whole chassie is powder coated silver. It will run true at 80 mph.

Bart

I've never been to Windrock, but did a comp in Jellico many years ago. Also rode my Harley through Tennessee. You have some amazing country.

Harley Jim

Bart
It is beautiful here. I live about 3 minutes from the Cherokee national forrest and the Ocoee river runs down the mountain right down the road from here. The Ocoee is a class 4 white water river(site of the 1996 USA Olympics) and dumps into Parksville lake best fishing and boating anywhere. Lot of mountain streams with trout dump in there also. The best part is there are hundreds of miles of fire roads through the Cherokee you can get to Georgia on the highway in 10 minutes or you can take the fire road its about 3 hours. That mountain in the background is in the cherokee I went up to the main road just now and took that picture for you.20190805_151440.jpg

Harley Jim

We have about half the state is national forrest or 4x4 trails. Check them out online
Telico plains
Jellico
Windrock
Coal creek
Inman point
Ridge royal blue resort

Check out some of my buddies videos on YouTube
Shane hill killer keller. The green buggy was built in the shop where I worked.
Bubba Bacon. He has no fear or sence sometimes.

These guys are good at what they do. You are probably asking why I dont let them fix my jeep. There answer is lets cut it apart and build an articulated chassie with hydro steer and it will be cool.
Im oldschool I want to figure this out and keep my cj a real cj thanks guys