help tube bending??

koondawg

I am in the middle of stretching my Cj5 to a Cj6. I am thinking that I will not want to use my old cage, and would like to build a new one to fit right. Any one have a tube bender they could let me use? Or make some bends for me? Let me know what you think, any other ideas appreciated.

troutbum

cubi-kill
koondawg said:
I am in the middle of stretching my Cj5 to a Cj6. I am thinking that I will not want to use my old cage, and would like to build a new one to fit right. Any one have a tube bender they could let me use? Or make some bends for me? Let me know what you think, any other ideas appreciated.

if you are just stretching the cage why not cut sleave and splice the existing cage?

koondawg

troutbum said:
if you are just stretching the cage why not cut sleave and splice the existing cage?

Well... I could, the cage I have now is not all that special. I would like to tie it all into the frame as well. or at least some of it.
Still, valid idea.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
koondawg said:
Any one have a tube bender they could let me use? Or make some bends for me?
You can use mine, $500.00....That's what I'm into it.

Seriously, no one is going to "let you use it", your guna have to pay to get what you want unless you know someone that likes you... ;) that will let you use theirs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn is right. Using a bender is not an easy thing. There is a learning curve to it, and you would likely waste a significant amount of tube, and possibly damage the following die without realizing it.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
RockLogic gets a lot of plugs here, but at one time they told me a price on a "per bend" if I were to have them bend tubing to my specs. It seemed very resonable. If you only have a few bends to make you may just call a few of the fab shops and ask if they will do a few bends for you. They may even have tube in stock to save you having to transport20 foot lengths of pipe around town.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Rusted gives some good tips, especially about them having the tube in stock. You might just have them tack weld the cage together and then you could finish weld it.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Koon,

You need some tube bent, bring it over and I will bend it for you for a small fee.
or shall I say, you will pull and I will assist... ;)

muleskinner

Shawn said:
Koon,

You need some tube bent, bring it over and I will bend it for you for a small fee.
or shall I say, you will pull and I will assist... ;)

Why don't you convert yours to hydro? :cool: Pretty easy..
ppppp.jpg

ZUKEYPR

Funny that this post should come up now. I bought my 2 inch .120 DOM tubing and took it to a shop last night that has a $1,800 bender (not hydraulic assisit). With 4 large guys on the approximately 12 foot cheater bar we only managed to bend the tube an insignifact amount. Merely a fraction. I go home, grab my $69.00 Harbor freight, 12 ton "pipe bender' and had no problem what so ever. About 1.5 hours later I had my B piller hoop completed. Now I know that someone is going to say that the bender that I ultimately used will "crush" the tube. It didn't. It's all how you use it. granted I think that it would be nearly impossible to make a "U" bend with it and you have to be carefull around the 90 degree area, but if you do it right it will work. Besides I don't have any 90 degree bends anyway.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
ZUKEYPR said:
Funny that this post should come up now. I bought my 2 inch .120 DOM tubing and took it to a shop last night that has a $1,800 bender (not hydraulic assisit). With 4 large guys on the approximately 12 foot cheater bar we only managed to bend the tube an insignifact amount. Merely a fraction.
:rofl:
Somebody got taken if the paid $1800 for a manual bender and can not bend .120 2"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have bent a lot of tube on a manual jd3 with no problem. And the bender with 2 dies is less then 1/2 that $$

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
rckcrlr said:
:rofl:
Somebody got taken if the paid $1800 for a manual bender and can not bend .120 2"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have bent a lot of tube on a manual jd3 with no problem. And the bender with 2 dies is less then 1/2 that $$
What I was thinking too. I didn't say anything since I have never bent 2" tube, but I've bent a lot of 1.75" .120 and a lot of 1.5" .120 on manual benders. How much more difficult can 2" be? I've never used a 12' cheater bar either... :eek:

koondawg

Great

Thanks guys,
and Shawn, thanks for the offer, when it comes time I just may be contacting you. And by let me use, I guess I meant let me help and assist.
I am thinking 4-6 bends is all I will need.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
ZUKEYPR said:
Funny that this post should come up now. I bought my 2 inch .120 DOM tubing and took it to a shop last night that has a $1,800 bender (not hydraulic assisit). With 4 large guys on the approximately 12 foot cheater bar we only managed to bend the tube an insignifact amount. Merely a fraction. I go home, grab my $69.00 Harbor freight, 12 ton "pipe bender' and had no problem what so ever. About 1.5 hours later I had my B piller hoop completed. Now I know that someone is going to say that the bender that I ultimately used will "crush" the tube. It didn't. It's all how you use it. granted I think that it would be nearly impossible to make a "U" bend with it and you have to be carefull around the 90 degree area, but if you do it right it will work. Besides I don't have any 90 degree bends anyway.

someone got hosed :ugh:
i use like a 3' bar on the jd2 and i bend with no problems