Help with failed emissions

crawler dude12

Took my 1988 Toyota 4runner in to get it inspected and it failed the idle test... Where and what should I look for?

Here is a pic of the results
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402513354.315145.jpg

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Check the obvious stuff like general tune up, i.e. air filter, change the oil, spark plug and wire condition.

Once all that checks out, verify the correct timing and pcv operation.

Was the engine nice and hot when you took it in?

crawler dude12

Cool. I will give it a tune up. And I tried to heat the engine the best I could with what little gas I had. (Couldn't fill up either)

Offrodeo

How old is the cat?
I highly suggest Emissions Now right off state street in Murray. Don is an honest mechanic that will always give advice on how how to get passed.

crawler dude12

I honestly don't know how old the cat is... I just bought this truck this month... It passed emissions before I bought it. And Murray is a little far for me right now.

Toad

Check tune up stuff first. What rpm was you idle test performed at? I dont know how there machines work. Here in Cache Valley the idle test can be performed up to 1200 rpm. So if you can bump the idle to 1100 you might be able to get it to pass by doing that. I do it all the time

R

rockdog

Change the oil right before you go. You'd be surprised how much difference it can make. Do the tune stuff as well and the higher rpm will help a lot too.

chans

With as high as both are probably cat converter and/or O2 sensor. Tune up only works for high HC with 100 over and below on these engines it seems. Struggled to get mine to pass for years with doing plugs and tune ups until last year when the HC went into the mid 300 range and finally had to buy a new cat and O2 sensor and the change was drastic.

chans

Maybe different since my engine is newer (94). Cat was 86.99 and 02 was 139.00 but looks like they came down this year.

crawler dude12

I have tried and tried and tried and even though I have done a full tuneup it still failed... Any more ideas on how to get me to pass? I'm about ready to give up on it.