Help with failed emissions

Offrodeo

Test your cat. Test the temp before the cat and the temp after the cat. The temp will be higher on the outlet if the cat is working correctly. I use a inferred tester. If you have a surface tester on a fluke or similar, that will be better.

audiofreak97

Have you checked the cat at all in all of your attempts?

When my 280zx wouldn't pass I messed with tune ups, timing, idle adjustments, alcohol, fuel injector cleaning, even swapped manifolds and egr stuff and no matter what i did it would get close, but not pass. Finally decided to pull out the cat and there was a hole all the way though the cat. Replaced it with a Magnaflow universal cat off of Summit and it passed with really low numbers.

n1v3kt

...register it in St. George :p I had an 89 22re. The issues that cost me my emissions before (eliminating tune, oil, plugs, filter etc.) was that the cat did go bad on me at one point and also a crack in the y-joint.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Checked timing, replaces the o2 sensor, got pulled over, and it failed again... It's REALLY close though. View attachment 92984

It looks like you're still running rich, or else your cat isn't cleaning up enough of the exhaust. Have you verified your MAP/MAF sensor (whichever you have) is functioning correctly? Is the engine up to proper operating temp? And have you tested the cat for proper operation? These look like your most probable culprits at this point....

crawler dude12

I haven't checked the cat, or the map/maf sensor, I tried my best to get the engine warmed up the best I could, but I got pulled over for expired temp tags and just went and tested it... I am away for the weekend and in going to try some guaranteed to pass stuff.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I tried my best to get the engine warmed up the best I could

When I suggested this, my main concern was that your engine might still be operating in cold loop mode--such as if the thermostat is stuck open. If the temp gauge is normal and you get good heat out of the system, I'd say this is probably not your problem.

I have seen marginal cats that squeaked out a passing score after you drove the vehicle a lot at freeway speeds to really heat up the cat, though.

crawler dude12

Anyone recommend a good reliable place to go get it tested? And can I have a safety inspection and a emission test from different places and still get it registered?

Offrodeo

Anyone recommend a good reliable place to go get it tested? And can I have a safety inspection and a emission test from different places and still get it registered?

Emmissions Now
It's off state street in Murray. Don is bad ass. He is a guy that you will want to be buddies with.

crawler dude12

Have you checked the cat at all in all of your attempts?

When my 280zx wouldn't pass I messed with tune ups, timing, idle adjustments, alcohol, fuel injector cleaning, even swapped manifolds and egr stuff and no matter what i did it would get close, but not pass. Finally decided to pull out the cat and there was a hole all the way though the cat. Replaced it with a Magnaflow universal cat off of Summit and it passed with really low numbers.
I had my dad take it into his work and had some people look at it, and the CAT is bad like you said... So I'm going to go get it replaced today. Thanks for all of your help!!

crawler dude12

It's alright I'm good friends with a neighbor who owns a muffler shop and he said he would give me a good deal for a new cat and Install