Help with my yardscaping plans?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Have you found anything you like for a garden hose hanger? I've been on the look out for something decent that will last but haven't found it. I've been thinking about maybe just trying to make them but figured I'd ask here.

I need probably just one that would attach to the house then I think 3 that would be post mounts or integrated with a post.

These hose reels from from Eley are like the cadilacs of the industry but they are pricey.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had a leftover from our old house I used in the garage. (still need to buy a sink....) The front yard has a perfectly placed rock that I like to coil the hose on. The backyard needs something..... I'm open to suggestion

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I recently buried 1.5' of a 4x4" post about 3.5-4' long.. Attached a decorative hose holder to it and it works great. I'll snag a photo later today.. We did this for the front and back yard a few weeks ago.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Have you found anything you like for a garden hose hanger? I've been on the look out for something decent that will last but haven't found it. I've been thinking about maybe just trying to make them but figured I'd ask here.

I need probably just one that would attach to the house then I think 3 that would be post mounts or integrated with a post.

These hose reels from from Eley are like the cadilacs of the industry but they are pricey.

I have two of those wall-mount reels, if you want to see how they work after using them for 10-ish years. (cliff's notes...I love them)

I haven't been able to stomach the prices of the matching hose from Eley, but it might be worth the investment there too. I end up having to replace the hose every 3 or 4 years currently, but the short piece running from the reel to the faucet is still perfect. I assume that's the same as their hose would be.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It's getting there Marc. When I moved and started going crazy with my yard I was told 3-4 years before I'd be happy with it. That didn't sit well with me because I had just left a house/yard where the lawn was like carpet and the yard was immaculate. Now I had to work and wait for 3-4 years before I'd be as happy with my new home as my last? I didn't want to believe it, however, after mowing my lawn on Wednesday night I came into the house and told my wife that this is the first time in the last 3 years that I am actually pleased with how my lawn looked even in this triple digit heat with a few areas struggling to stay green.

It will get there and you will be happy with it once it all fills in. Looking good so far.

Mike

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
With the cooler temps coming its prime time for that all to fill in. Look up the "fall nitrogen blitz" and consider blasting it with urea to really push it to grow and fill in. Another option would be to pull some plugs of good grass and transplant them to the bare areas. I've got the proplugger which makes it pretty easy but a bulb planter would work too.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'm honestly pretty shocked with how thick it currently is and how well some of the sparse spots have grown in over the past few weeks. I'm going to start raking in some soil in some of the lower spots tomorrow and we'll get things going pretty well through the end of the growing season. I expect it should look pretty good by April/May as it starts to come in over the winter. I'd like to overseed here in mid-late Sept or so. Have quite a few other yard projects as you can see. We'll start knocking some of those out as the weather turns a little less hot.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Likely the end of the growing season? I’ve strategically placed some clippings in areas where the lawn is a little thin. I’ve just put the last of my seed under there hoping for some good growing weather until early Nov. Lawn isn’t perfect but for $400 investment vs $4000 sod, I’m very happy. $175ish in seed and $225ish in fertilizer.
013714B2-408B-4F71-9578-DD0352857FBA.jpeg08D4BEC3-58EE-4FB3-91AF-088A4A393E9A.jpeg5C30CD0B-023C-4A2A-854E-C4FDF09EDBA1.jpeg

Now I need to teach myself concrete for the fire pit area and a patio under the deck

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got a lot of work done yesterday but it cost my 5 decade old body. I’ll be pretty worthless today and maybe tomorrow? I did a “cleanup” for winter and that turned into a “let’s move these here” and “dig this there” thing.

D108D0EA-8089-4C4D-AF64-0C4D1027A493.jpeg

Those are all the rocks from my front yard.

F658CA48-CD32-459F-82C8-962B8FD5247F.jpeg
How the edge of the parking pad started the day.

41B4877A-45B8-42C9-ACF3-DBC931895524.jpeg
Needed some loose dirt to push up against the inside of the rock. F350 was conveniently handy and dug up some dirt.

788048D0-A7B6-46E8-A56D-9F705C823F69.jpeg
Now I need to fund a LOT of gravel. I’m strongly considering crushed asphalt for this area. Any experience with that? For the RV pad to the back of the house I need about 35ish yards of gravel. I’ll also need to get another rental for an excavator and kind “fix” a few things so the slope is more gradual. Likely a spring project. We’ll see how the rock wall makes it through the winter. They are only dug down 3-5” into the existing soil.

Tonkaman

I’m strongly considering crushed asphalt for this area. Any experience with that?

The construction sites I work at often use crushed asphalt if they want it to last longer or if they are worried about sinking into the gravel. Personally I love it when they spring for the crushed asphalt, but I have no idea what the cost difference is.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I can’t speak on the crushed asphalt, but I do know a quality weed blocker going down first will make your life a lot more pleasant in the future. My RV parking area and my foot paths are crushed granite. I absolutely hate that crap! It’s rather fine, about like rock salt. If it’s at all damp it sticks to your shoes and you end up tracking it everywhere. I’m not sure if that would be an issue with the asphalt or not. I’ll be covering mine with a larger gravel in the future

mbryson

Supporting Member
Working up a gravel driveway cost.
RV Pad measurements

Pad to end of house = 36x16 = 576 square feet = 7 yards

End of house to shed = 30x77 = 2310 square feet = 28 yards

2886 square feet

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/construction/concrete-calculator.php

If I’m not on drugs, that’s $2700 for Wasatch Grey 1.5” gravel from Staker Parson. That’s at $77 per cubic yard. (Assuming 4” deep which seems kind of deep to me?)
After reading the gripes on the inter webs about crushed/ground asphalt, I don’t think that’s a good match? People get the tar tracked in their house/garage pretty frequently from what I understand?

I think I was quoted $13.50 a ton on the crushed asphalt. A cubic yard of gravel is 2200ish lbs. $500 for crushed asphalt?

Attachments

• 2020 Landscape Yard Pricing-Retail.pdf
    510.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
That’s way too deep, and way too large of rock. Mine is around 3/4” broken gravel 2”-3” deep and it supports the weight just fine. You’ll want to use broken gravel because it locks together, the round river type gravel will just roll out of the way.26CA8E95-8793-4F53-95FA-E1FC1AA75346.jpeg

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
That’s way too deep, and way too large of rock. Mine is around 3/4” broken gravel 2”-3” deep and it supports the weight just fine. You’ll want to use broken gravel because it locks together, the round river type gravel will just roll out of the way.View attachment 131717
This is very true.....don't get the rounded! Don't ask me how I know ;-) And that seems pricey on the per yard cost to me.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
That’s way too deep, and way too large of rock. Mine is around 3/4” broken gravel 2”-3” deep and it supports the weight just fine. You’ll want to use broken gravel because it locks together, the round river type gravel will just roll out of the way.View attachment 131717

I’m wanting big enough to not have to much of it stuck in truck tire treads. It will be crushed and not the “natural “ rounded stone

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I’m wanting big enough to not have to much of it stuck in truck tire treads. It will be crushed and not the “natural “ rounded stone
When did you start running Boggers on your truck? I will pick up the occasional rock running the side by sides across it, but the more highway friendly tires on the truck and trailer have never picked one up so I think you’re worrying about nothing.

mbryson

Supporting Member
When did you start running Boggers on your truck? I will pick up the occasional rock running the side by sides across it, but the more highway friendly tires on the truck and trailer have never picked one up so I think you’re worrying about nothing.

Boggers are THE towing tire don’t you know?image.jpg

these pick up an amazing amount of rocks. My BFG AT were pretty similar

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Only use the bigger rock if your soil is such that everything sinks when it gets muddy. If not, I would stick to 1" or smaller. The soil in my area needs the bigger rock for the first layer.

Lots of people bring in lime finds (crushed limestone smaller than 3/8") because they are cheap, and then sink their truck after a rain.