hey guys--Exterra lift question

scott119

does anyone know how to do a lift on an xterra its got I.F.S. so its pretty pricey if anyone knows how or can recomend a shop to do it!
thanks

BRANDON88

Its Actually Not As Hard As You Think

IF YOU HAVE A FLOOR JACK AND SOME TOOLS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT , EXCEPT YOU MIGHT NEED A ALIGNMENT WHEN YOUR DONE. IF YOU HAVENT BOUGHT ANYTHING YET LOOK AT (4X4 PARTS .COM) NOT 4WHEEL PARTS 4X4 PARTS THEY HAVE A LIFT FOR A X FOR ABOUT 400.00 BUCKS GIVE OR TAKE I HAVENT LOOKED FOR A LONG TIME,

scott119

they told me a would have to do the heavy duty steering on that or i would mess up my front end within a year

BRANDON88

a few years back

I might be able to lend a hand, when are you thinking about doing it and tell me what you have in mind. I'm sure we can get you fixed up, by the way what x are you running SE SE/SC 5spd or auto? these will make a small difference but not much. any way let me know. oh and one of my Best Friends is a mechanic for the city and he knows everything I'm sure we could persuade him in helpin

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
Do you have any mechanical skills? Do you have a floor jack and 4 good jack stands? Do you have a decent set of metric tools? If you can answer yes to these questions then it's not that big of a deal, I have installed a bunch of them. What year Xterra, and what lift are you use, Calmini, SLR...?

You will definately need an alignment when you are done and the stock steering is not going to last very long if you wheel it at all.

SICK99TJ

calmini lift is a simple as changing a tire. new shackles and new torsion bars,
maybe a bracket or two up front. i did one a year or so ago and it took about two maybe two and a half hours. the only thing that sucked was moving the exhaust to get the new shackle in on the driver side, but it is not that bad.

Last edited:

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
calmini lift is a simple as changing a tire. new shackles and new torsion bars,
maybe a bracket or two up front. i did one a year or so ago and it took about two maybe two and a half hours. the only thing that sucked was moving the exhaust to get the new shackle in on the driver side, but it is not that bad.

Not quite that simple, you replace the upper control arms as well and I would buy all 4 new cam bolts as they tend to sieze to the bushing sleeves and sometimes need to be sawed out.

I personally would not use the "heavy duty" torsion bars, everyone I know that has them has had them settle and must constantly adjust the ride height. I have had mine lifted for almost 6 years and still have the stock torsion bars on and they never need to be readjusted.

Proper ride height is critical to getting it aligned properly.

Last edited:

SICK99TJ

Not quite that simple, you replace the upper control arms as well and I would buy all 4 new cam bolts as they tend to sieze to the bushing sleeves and sometimes need to be sawed out.

I personally would not use the "heavy duty" torsion bars, everyone I know that has them has had them settle and must constantly adjust the ride height. I have had mine lifted for almost 6 years and still have the stock torsion bars on and they never need to be readjusted.

Proper ride height is critical to getting it aligned properly.

The upper arms are 4 bolts if i remember correctly...:confused: ...4 bolts.
As far as the torsion bars it is a personal preference my buddies never sagged at all. but i have heard that. just remember not to use a air gun when you adjust the torsion bars cause it will strip out the bolts and then you are in for more work.:D

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
The upper arms are 4 bolts if i remember correctly...:confused: ...4 bolts.
As far as the torsion bars it is a personal preference my buddies never sagged at all. but i have heard that. just remember not to use a air gun when you adjust the torsion bars cause it will strip out the bolts and then you are in for more work.:D

Well, I've seen more problems with them than not, nothing better than having to reindex torsion bars on a trip to hold ride height.

FWIW I was the VP of UXOC for nearly 5 years so I've seen and worked on more than a few Xterras. Yes the upper control arms are 4 bolts and the ball joint. However, those 4 cam bolts have a tendancy to sieze to the bushing sleeves like I stated before and then it's not just just taking the bolts out and putting them in.

If the truck is in good shape installing the lift is a piece of cake but you can run into problems.

SICK99TJ

that is all i am saying as well. yeah any lift can kick you in the nuts but most are fairly straight forward so if you read the directions then you should be fine. and yes i did forget about the ball joints but still tops it is only 20-25 bolts or so.:D

SICK99TJ

that is all i am saying as well. yeah any lift can kick you in the nuts but most are fairly straight forward so if you read the directions then you should be fine. and yes i did forget about the ball joints but still tops it is only 20-25 bolts or so.:D