Jeep Hey you XJ guys!!! How do I get to the heater core?

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I've got a mess on my hands. 1990 XJ needs a heater core. I have the dash out, and lots of little things apart, yet I still can't get the heater box out to get to the heater core. I have beer of someone wants to stop in and help/show me what I'm missing....

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The nuts that hold the heater box to the firewall are on the engine side of the firewall...I think there is either 5 or 6 of them. I know one is behind the valve cover, and a bugger to reach.

Don't know if that helps...

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
You can take the heater box apart without pulling the whole thing out. There is a band around it that you cut and then you remove about six screws and the box will split into two halves. Once it is apart you can access the cores. I have a box in the basement and a few spare cores if you want one.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I see where it splits, I THINK I have all the screws out, I cut the band, but its like it is one with the XJ. Frustrating it is... I ran across a thread over at NAXJA last night with some good photos, looks like I still need to remove the fan motor...

Ford had a better idea. Rangers and first gen Explorers have the heater core behind one plastic panel. Remove it (by the passneger's feet), and replace it in about 15 minutes...

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Thanks Scott! Got the core changed, just buttoning things up now. Only needed to pull the evap side out. But the nuts are stuill a pain in the butt...

Silly Willy

Before you go digging into that I would recommend checking All your fuses. I replaced mine and it turned out to be a damn 10 amp fuse. The fuse was just over loaded popped a 15 amp in and haven't had a single problem. (I guess I was a little late in this thread.:()

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Before you go digging into that I would recommend checking All your fuses. I replaced mine and it turned out to be a damn 10 amp fuse. The fuse was just over loaded popped a 15 amp in and haven't had a single problem. (I guess I was a little late in this thread.:()

Fuses don't usually cause things to leak :).. Also if your junk calls for a 10 amp and it keeps blowing a 10 amp fuse don't stick in a 15 amp fuse figure out what is causing the 10 amp fuse to blow otherwise you are just asking for problems in the future :)

NP Rog glad I could help.. I will probobly get some time to work on your brakets today or tomorrow.. I HAS ME AN IDEA!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Willy, I agree with Scott. THAT is NOT good troubleshooting, period. And well, I've been into this project for a lot longer than I'll admit to. My daughter complained of a sweet smell in the Jeep and the carpet was wet. So over the summer I simply bypassed the heater core. Imagine a selfish teen wanting heat in the winter!!! Pain in the butt that core is... Should have it all buttoned up in the next few days.

Thanks Scott. And, should I be afeared you have an idea? (thanks ahead of time!)

DOSS

Willy, I agree with Scott. THAT is NOT good troubleshooting, period. And well, I've been into this project for a lot longer than I'll admit to. My daughter complained of a sweet smell in the Jeep and the carpet was wet. So over the summer I simply bypassed the heater core. Imagine a selfish teen wanting heat in the winter!!! Pain in the butt that core is... Should have it all buttoned up in the next few days.

Thanks Scott. And, should I be afeared you have an idea? (thanks ahead of time!)

No fear needed Rog.. it will work well and be ummm SOLID :) HEHE

Silly Willy

Also if your junk calls for a 10 amp and it keeps blowing a 10 amp fuse don't stick in a 15 amp fuse figure out what is causing the 10 amp fuse to blow otherwise you are just asking for problems in the future :)
It ended up being that the previous owner put more stuff on the line my heater was on, every time I would turn my heater on it would overload the fuse. I put the 15amp fuse in because the 10 amp was being overloaded due to having too much stuff running on it (radio, heater, overhead lights, power locks, and a couple other things) so when I would lock the door the fuse would blow if the door was open, if unlocked the door with the radio was on, etc. the 15 amp fuse was the correct fuse to have in.

DOSS

It ended up being that the previous owner put more stuff on the line my heater was on, every time I would turn my heater on it would overload the fuse. I put the 15amp fuse in because the 10 amp was being overloaded due to having too much stuff running on it (radio, heater, overhead lights, power locks, and a couple other things) so when I would lock the door the fuse would blow if the door was open, if unlocked the door with the radio was on, etc. the 15 amp fuse was the correct fuse to have in.

Time to fix the PO's wiring issues instead of band-aiding them :)

Corban_White

Fuses are there to protect the wiring. If the fuse is blowing because the circuit is overloaded and you put in a larger fuse, rather than the fuse blowing, next time it could be the wiring........in the engine compartment/dash.........next to flammable materials...........causing a lot of rubbernecking on the freeway when your vehicle starts on fire.