History of the Constrictor trail

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
The line gets drawn at was once an exsisting road, track or trail; usually mining access, that has been re driven, not recreated. The existing road, is just beginning to get reused. When someone blazes a new trail off that existing road, and daamges trees etc to avoid driving the real road/trail is where I have problems.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I remember my first run up there--took a couple hours if I remember correctly. It was a legitimately difficult trail requiring a very well built rig to make it up.

Last few times I've been up it I ran it in about 5 minutes to the eagles nest. It's sad to see how the trees have been torn out and the bypasses made. The only explanation I can see for the type of abuse is obviously over-use--but more particularly people taking rigs up there that have no business being on the trail and needed to go around things in order to get through.

The bypass at the entrance is the worst. It started as a great gate-keeper obstacle that kept rigs that didn't belong on the trail out. If you couldn't do that obstacle, then you didn't have a chance on the rest of the trail. Now there is a HW around the entrance and the entire trial is wide enough to drive through without even having to pay attention. I would probably rate it at a mild 4---not even as difficult as Pritchett which isn't particularly difficult even considering rock pile.

But I think we all learned a good lesson about trails how to keep them from being over run. It's too bad you can't require a course in responsible land use before you register a 4x4 or ATV as I think that would be the best way to slow down trail weaving, illegal bypasses, etc. etc. Because there isn't, and so many people leave the trail in a condition other than how they found it, we have lost a great trail.

At this point, RS/CON are a good thing. All the riff raff go out there and run them and they stay a long way from all the other rad trails that are out there. There are a couple trails out there in particular that are so well cared for that every time you go you can't even tell someone has been there since you were--but you know they have. Thats how it should be.

Cody

Bone Down

I am wondering if there is any truth in a comment that was made to me last evening.

The 5 Mile Pass area will become a fee use area, as of this last legislation.

I did not see this any where, nor did it come up on any of the reporting from the watch dogs on what we (OHV'ers) should be aware of and send letter to such and such.

Does anyone have any info on this?
I hope that we as people can save this area from to much regulation and clean up the trails to make them more like the were when discovered and/or setup.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bone Down said:
I am wondering if there is any truth in a comment that was made to me last evening.

The 5 Mile Pass area will become a fee use area, as of this last legislation.

I did not see this any where, nor did it come up on any of the reporting from the watch dogs on what we (OHV'ers) should be aware of and send letter to such and such.

Does anyone have any info on this?
I hope that we as people can save this area from to much regulation and clean up the trails to make them more like the were when discovered and/or setup.

There surely is truth, I know they have discussed it in the past. Knolls has been on the list for sometime and became effective 3/1/06

I personally am not for nor against having it a pay area. They money collected usually stays in the area for improvements (bathrooms, trash service, patrol, etc). Fees have done wonderful things for AF Canyon IMHO. Guess we will have to see...

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Shawn said:
Demon had nothing to do with Constrictor. In fact the only reason he found WW was because he strayed form the pack that was finding another trail.

We found the canyon and were trying to figure out a way to get a vehicle up it, but you guys were the first ones to do it.

Caleb

cruiseroutfit said:
There surely is truth, I know they have discussed it in the past. Knolls has been on the list for sometime and became effective 3/1/06

I personally am not for nor against having it a pay area. They money collected usually stays in the area for improvements (bathrooms, trash service, patrol, etc). Fees have done wonderful things for AF Canyon IMHO. Guess we will have to see...

I personally see it this same way, it would be great, IMO, to have it a pay area. That would also help keep the "teenage" mindset people out of the area and lowering the impact and destruction that goes on. Also, being able to have a Ranger(s) out in the area fulltime would also help eliminate the vandalism. AF Canyon is a great example.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
WayneXJ said:
uh.. yeah....
I find it interesting that you claim this. The first time that Marc went up that way was with me. This trail was established because of Marcs whinny, cry babby attitued about RS. He also found that rail too you know...:rolleyes: The only trail that I know of for a fact that he can lay claim on is WW, ah,,, that would be Wally World.... or as some have tried to change the name to Waynes World... Your claims mean nothing to me, if you say so, then it must be.....

Crinco

mine

So Kurt, where is the Mine itself, is it the hole by the left turn (radiator rapids I think it is called) or is it somewhere else? That appears to be a mine shaft that was started but never went anywhere.

Attachments

• DVC00286 (Small).JPG
    DVC00286 (Small).JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DVC00288 (Small).JPG
    DVC00288 (Small).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 14

Houndoc

WJ ZUK said:
The line gets drawn at was once an exsisting road, track or trail; usually mining access, that has been re driven, not recreated. The existing road, is just beginning to get reused. When someone blazes a new trail off that existing road, and daamges trees etc to avoid driving the real road/trail is where I have problems.

I look back on the other thread and look at the photo Eagle Nest early on (I think it is post 54 on the other thread) and have to ask how is the first rig to try that really much different than anyone else that goes off trail?

Doesn't exactly look like an existing road to me.

That said, I do not have a problem with new trails being legally and appropriately created. But I think if there is damage to the area over the years, the first ones to drive it are not without blame.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Shawn said:
I find it interesting that you claim this. The first time that Marc went up that way was with me. This trail was established because of Marcs whinny, cry babby attitued about RS. He also found that rail too you know...:rolleyes: The only trail that I know of for a fact that he can lay claim on is WW, ah,,, that would be Wally World.... or as some have tried to change the name to Waynes World... Your claims mean nothing to me, if you say so, then it must be.....

whatever you say shwan.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
At first I thought - great, pay to use. Then someone made the comemnt of AF. I think it would be a good idea. Most of the offroad areas in CA are daily use, as well. Not to say it helped the area, but it did bring in nice restrooms, picnic tables, grass, etc..etc.. Which is kinda nice. We could go out, drive the trails a bit, then go kick back under a shade tree at a picnic table to eat lunch.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Houndoc said:
I look back on the other thread and look at the photo Eagle Nest early on (I think it is post 54 on the other thread) and have to ask how is the first rig to try that really much different than anyone else that goes off trail?

Doesn't exactly look like an existing road to me.

That said, I do not have a problem with new trails being legally and appropriately created. But I think if there is damage to the area over the years, the first ones to drive it are not without blame.

Well the trails we now commonly use were once roads that accesses mining claims etc. That is how we can maintain access to them, because they were previously created. We didin't blaze a new trail with chainsaws through the forest, we cleared a existing road of the past to become offroad/rec vehicle drivable, again. Maybe you should just stick to something your used to, like driving on the hgihway