Hole in the Rock Trail

Mope

This looks fun. My family wants to make a trip down there in March to give it a run. (from Pocatello) How would a short wheel base do...a Zuk per say?

Lifelong Jeeper

What should the minimum vehicle requirements be for this trail. I have a TJ w/ F&R lockers and a tera low, but my wife doesn't want to go in it. She wants to take our stock ZJ since it has air conditioning. I don't think it will do it but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

jdub

Scrambler
Same on the question of minimum requirements for your rig. Is there trailer parking? when would it be a good time of year to run it? Where is the nearest town? Anything else by the way of suggestions helps, this trail looks like a fun family trip.

OldGeezer

Same on the question of minimum requirements for your rig. Is there trailer parking? when would it be a good time of year to run it? Where is the nearest town? Anything else by the way of suggestions helps, this trail looks like a fun family trip.

Requirements= I think bone stock would be difficult to impossible-everything else goes.

Trailer parking= yes.

Time of year= spring or fall.

Nearest town= Real town? Blanding or Hanksville. But you can get gas & groceries at the Halls Crossing marina.

I would allow 3 days minimum on the trail for the best pace. Sure, it can be done faster, but it's no fun.

OldGeezer

Can it be done on one 19 gal tank of gas or should I plan to take extra with me?

From Halls Crossing to the end and back I usually use around 13 gallons. I also take an extra 5 gallons along just in case. That does not include a side trip to the Rincon ( never been there ). Driving a 78 CJ7 six cylinder.

Lifelong Jeeper

Trail conditions...

Would you say that this trail is a lot of long stretches of wash board dirt road with several intermitent obstacles or how would you describe it?

This help those in my party who are on the fence about it decide if it will be worth their time or not.

Thanks.

OldGeezer

Would you say that this trail is a lot of long stretches of wash board dirt road with several intermitent obstacles or how would you describe it?

This help those in my party who are on the fence about it decide if it will be worth their time or not.

Thanks.

Pretty much. Except more rough sandstone than wash board.

bonedoc12

If you want to have company who know the trail and the history go with the Red Rock 4-Wheelers from Moab. They guide the trail with two nights of camping twice during Easter Jeep Safari, and once over Labor Day.

frenchiexj

Frenchie
Hole in the Rock

I have been leading this trail for EJS for 15 years. This was before it was a Big Saturday trail and as a Big Saturday trail. This is my second favorite trail and I done it over 50 times.

Last Easter (2007) the trail had the big washout 150 yards before the sign pointing out where the lake was. We were able to climb out right at the end of the wash out. This was a short 1/4 of a mile detour, up the face of the rock wall. Do to my schedule I have not had time to check it out this year as of yet. I will only be able to check out the trail on March 14th. 2008. I then have to bring the EJS group there on the 15th.. Has anyone done the new bypass from Bobbie's Hole area? Last year I saw a copy of a copy of the trail and it was very hard to make out where it went. Any new information would be great. Thanks

Lifelong Jeeper

I have been leading this trail for EJS for 15 years. This was before it was a Big Saturday trail and as a Big Saturday trail. This is my second favorite trail and I done it over 50 times.

Last Easter (2007) the trail had the big washout 150 yards before the sign pointing out where the lake was. We were able to climb out right at the end of the wash out. This was a short 1/4 of a mile detour, up the face of the rock wall. Do to my schedule I have not had time to check it out this year as of yet. I will only be able to check out the trail on March 14th. 2008. I then have to bring the EJS group there on the 15th.. Has anyone done the new bypass from Bobbie's Hole area? Last year I saw a copy of a copy of the trail and it was very hard to make out where it went. Any new information would be great. Thanks

What is it about this trail that makes you love it so much? I want to run it so bad but am not getting much support from those in my group. Maybe I'll have to come run it on EJS with you.

Alex

I have GPS coordinates saved for All Topo & National Geographics Topo! mapping programs. I might even have them in the GPX format, cant remember offhand. Let me know if you need anything.
I am running Hole in the Rock in April and would greatly like to have all of the track files on your map. I have National Geographic Topo, can you email it to alexhimes"at"yahoo.com? Thank you!

I last ran that trail in 2004 and am really looking forward to going back!
orig.jpg

OldGeezer

I am running Hole in the Rock in April and would greatly like to have all of the track files on your map. I have National Geographic Topo, can you email it to alexhimes"at"yahoo.com? Thank you!

I last ran that trail in 2004 and am really looking forward to going back!
orig.jpg

Sure. I don't have them with me so I'll do it monday.