How do I get the plug off the tranny?

elissadilley

Hey Guys,
I'm pulling my tranny on my 88 Samurai (never done anything like this on my own) and I can't get the plug off the tranny. It's one of those weird plugs that has the cylindar outside and square inside. I don't have an impact wrench or a compressor. My dad said a 3/8 to 1/2 converter for my ratchet might work. Didn't want to race to the parts store for something that won't work. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Elissa

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by elissadilley
. My dad said a 3/8 to 1/2 converter for my ratchet might work.

That's usually the way to get the plug out if it's got the hole in the center of the plug. What I do is stick a short extension on my rachets and just have at it. Usually can get it loose in short order that way.

Hope that helps you out a bit

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't know Suzukis, but I would venture to guess that either a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet will fit in the hole, and you should be able to unscrew it from there.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I can talk toys... The big brother of sammi's
Why are you taking off this plug? I am guessing to drain it? If so just pull it. It's sealed at both ends. That is if the driveline bolts on and doesn't slip in. Try and get some VISE GRIPS. not some cheepo brand get the brandname VISE GRIP. Sometime this will help. Give us more detail as to what and how and why you are doing. Were all kinda running blind.

elissadilley

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the advice! I'm pulling the tranny so I can get it looked at to see if I can rebuild it or not. Couldn't drain it today cuz we're broke. Pay day tomorrow...watch out Autozone...lol. Yeah, I tried the vice grips but I was lame and got the cheap ones. I'll try the 1/2 inch rachet tomorrow. I'll see what kind of damage I can do tomorrow. I have to wait for my 1 year old to take a nap to work on Suzi so I'm in and out of the garage. It should be illegal to have this much fun! I'll contact you real soon Spencurai!
Elissa