how do you frame a subframed rig?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I want to build a subaru brat onto a toy frame. I looked at the beast yesterday and I remembered it's all subframed. I am working on a junkyard budget, but how can I build enough frame to mount the brat body to a frame?

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
Are you sure that all your dimensions are right? I was going to drop a Fiero onto a S10 frame, but after lookin at all the numbers, a Wrangler frame is a hecuva lot closer to get the wheels in the wells. IF your numbers are good, then its basically just mounting the body like its a Jeep. Use body mounts between the ladder frame and the subframe. Then a WHOLE lot of removing excess metal so your not sittin so heavy.

Sounds like a fun project, my only quesiton is, why not just lift the Brat? They make kits for it.. I've seen some that are just bolt in's, that give 29's full articulation, and 31's rub a hair after on the downside of flying. Besides, those powertrains in the Suby will outlive outbash the Yota one (no offense) as long as you dont mind tellin people you got a monster 1.3 under the hood :D

-Karl

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
lets see......Where to start.
the brat isn't in all that good of shape mechanically.
We need to at least fit 36's
The new toy frame now has a 350-t350-205-maybee danas.
Subaru doesn't :D
if I had a jeep frame for free or the new cost with all the goodies I'd be on it.
I haven't even measured squat!! It WILL FIT!!!
I will modify the frame (boxed frame BTW) to fit the chassis of the bru.
I'll be making some serios headway really soon. I'll see if anyone has digi pix to play with on the board.

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
HAHA I didnt know that was a matter of "Mind over Matter" meaning you dont mind cuz it dont matter. :eek:) I LOVE that mentality. Its what made my old Brat get launched of a "jump" made from an old concrete barrier. G'Luck with this, I'm sure the Hot Wrench is going to come in handy!! Keep us updated with the pics!

-Karl

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
the hot wrench works wonders :D
My neighbor has been dreaming for about three years... Finally I got pissed and have a line on really cheep/free parts so.... Now I take the wheel and this SOB will get build before I leave state :D Then I can wheel it too.... :D

jp008

Will a sami frame work??????? I've got one. CHEAP!!!!!!!

Frame only, no engine or axles. I'd use toy axles anyway for this project.

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
Sami frame would prolly be alot closer to "Perfect" dimensions if you were going for a daily driver or show rig. But with what I think he's doin.... LOL Any frame'll do!

-Karl

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
the sami frame might work. Whats the wheelbase on it? hell I gott re-fab about half of the mounts on the toy frame anyways. Are sami's box frames? If I don't have to shorten the frame and reweld it up then maybee...... Got all kinds of stuff delivered to my house yesterday :D
A 81 toy w-350-t350-205-waggs,alcans,toy axles.
A 78 chev truck with axles 4x4 and exaust
a 70 blazer with danas? and complete body (resto project)
my driveway IS FULL!!!