How do you ID axles?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I am talking chev/dana
I have two 14 bolt rear
two 10 bolt front
one front has flat top on both knuckles....
There is a big ass ford by me that I think has 1 ton axles but the rear is only a 10 bolt. The rims off a 16 inch 8lug truck wouldn't fit the ford... The center hub is too big.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You don't know Dana AXLES??! :D :D :D

Sorry Skye, I guess I thought everyone knew how to ID Danas! What SPECIFIC Vehicle are they out of? Year, Make, etc..... That always helps.

Are the Rear 14 Bolts out of a GM rig?

The fronts, if they are GM, could be a GM 10 Bolt (WEAK!), GM 12 Bolt (Nearly just as weak), Dana 44 (Better), or mabey a Dana 60. How many lugs do the front axles have? Are the Diff Covers Round or more Square?

The one with Flat top knuckles could be a 44 from a Jeep Cherokee. Chevs didn't have a flat top knuckle, I think.

The best bet would be to post PICS!! Then we could solve this right away!

Ryan

Get the Bill of Materials # off the axle. It's stamped on the tag on the diff cover(if there is one), or I believe on the back of the axle tube, I *think* on the driver side. It's printed as xxxxxx-x, first number is usually(if not always) a 6.

Then go to http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~Deabill~ and type in the number. It will tell you what axle it is, what gears it had from the factory, if it had a LS, blah, blah, blah.

There is also an option to enter the vehicle and it will tell you what axles were in it from the factory.

Lots of other good Dana info on the site as well(hence www2.dana.com/EXPERT)

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well greg you asked.... :D
I don't need danas... I drive toys :D
I just got a toy with a 350-t350-205-toy axles
70 k5 blazer with axles and a bad t350-205
78 pickup with axles.....450$...from that guy I talked too alot in lil moab....
They are 8lug axles... The rears are 14bolt. The ones on the blazer I think are FF cuz of the hub bolts.The other rear 14 bolt looks a little bigger.But no hub. I also know of a 10bolt rear on a ford thats got a bigger rear hub that a FF14bolt. So WTF? I have some #'s but nothing off the tubes...I can't pull my head out of my ass far enough to see where the #'s are... I have some off the diff. They don't make any scense in the dana land of #'s....
\The fronts both have 10bolts...8lug. They both have disk...open knuckle.....One has flat top on both sides.......Ahh.. the one on the blazer has a locking hub...the one on the truck is full time..??
I plan to throw some big axles under the toy frame...for the rockbrat.
I just want the blazer to tow it there.
I have 20 more pix left :D no digimon stuff here :D
can you tell me where to scrub on the tubes to find the right GD #'s?

Too Far

parts is parts
The numbers on my 44 front are stamped on the long side tube facing the front. They start a few inches away from the pumpkin.
It is easy to tell a 44 from a 10 bolt. The 10 bolt will have little ears sticking out from the bottom of the pumpkin on each side. and the 44 does not.
The 10,12,14 bolt axles are made by AAM not dana too. There never was a 12 bolt front axle.
If you had a 60 you would know it because these things are so much bigger its obvious.
Gm used both 10 bolts and 44's in the 70's and depending on what truck they came on can have 6 or 8 lugs. The cover on the 10 bolt is more roundish than the 44.
the rears are a harder question. Most all 14 bolts are FF and 8 lug. There are a few SF 14 bolts out there, but they are fairly rare.
If you can throw up some pics we could probably help more.

Last edited:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Ok I don't have a digital camera....
what are these "ears" that you talk of in the front? I think they are both 44 fronts....8lug... Are all the components the same? I mean like disk brakes and callipers and sutch? I don't know spline count yet...soon.
On the 78 truck the rear has finnaly been ID'd Its a gm 9.5 sf8lug. What does that do for me? i know it's better than nothing but...is it worth fabbin into a rig?
On the blazer...... 14 bolt.....8lug....FF....diff is kicked to the pass side of the carrier...The pinoin has like 5 bolts holding it in. I have a few #'s now that were stamped into the axles...But they don't work in dana land...
Here is one full set of #'s..... front 44?
GPUG60301..or
GZH60291....or
What do I enter?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Skyetone
found a pic on colorado K5...
The front axle in the pic is mine.......what is it?

That is a GM 14 Bolt......no really......thats what its called. Its probably the strongest (And biggest) Rearend out there. If you can break that thing, you better be jumping 10 Cars at a time, like Bigfoot.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
heard it has a 2" smaller ring than a dana 60? What other points of interest? Why is the diff off to one side? Why does the flange for the pinion come out?
Not worried about breakage..just parts ID :D

Too Far

parts is parts
The bottom axle in the pic is the HD 14 bolt it has a 10.5 inch ring gear and big axles. This axle is THE axle of choice for the GM guys. It is on par with the 70.
If you look at the top picture you will see a GM 10 bolt. If you look close you can see the little ears on each side of the diff towards the bottom. They are triangle shaped. Front 10 bolts have the same ears.
I bet the SF rear axle you have is the light duty 14 bolt that is found under light duty 3/4 ton trucks. This axle has a 9.5" ring gear and really isnt sought after to build up. It is somewhere between a 44 and a 60 in strength.
My front 44 that came out of a Chevy has 44 cast into the housing a bunch of times. I think it is actually 448F. Its in the pumkin a few times so look for this type of lettering in the casting. On the other hand the 44 I pulled from a waggy did not have 44 cast into the pumkin any where, so I guess it varies with the axle.
10 bolt fronts are about the same strength as a front 44. There are many more options available for the 44 though, so I prefere the 44.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Ok I don't have a digital camera....
what are these "ears" that you talk of in the front? I think they are both 44 fronts....8lug... Are all the components the same? I mean like disk brakes and callipers and sutch? I don't know spline count yet...soon.
On the 78 truck the rear has finnaly been ID'd Its a gm 9.5 sf8lug. What does that do for me? i know it's better than nothing but...is it worth fabbin into a rig?
On the blazer...... 14 bolt.....8lug....FF....diff is kicked to the pass side of the carrier...The pinoin has like 5 bolts holding it in. I have a few #'s now that were stamped into the axles...But they don't work in dana land...
Here is one full set of #'s..... front 44?
GPUG60301..or
GZH60291....or
What do I enter?

If you have an eight lug chev front with flat tops, it's a 44. As for the semi float 14 bolt, it should be plenty strong enough to hold up to a Brat.

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
heard it has a 2" smaller ring than a dana 60? What other points of interest? Why is the diff off to one side? Why does the flange for the pinion come out?
Not worried about breakage..just parts ID :D

Nope - a 14 bolt's ring gear is LARGER than a Dana 60's. A 14 bolt is on par with a Dana 70 strength wise.
Scott

Too Far

parts is parts
I was digging around a bit and came across some info that says that the light duty 14 bolt, the one with the 9.5" ring gear is a c-clip axle. Not that that is a horrible thing or anything, but I was refering to it as SF in earler posts. There are some 10.5" ring gear 14 bolts that are SF, like the axle that came in the 454SS of a couple of years ago.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
sorry been researching and came back to my post :D
The FF44 rear is in the blazer
the SF 9.5 or LD44 will go under the brat. If a FF4$ come up then we swap. It has toy axles for now.
the fronts are flat toped 44 with locking hubs.
A standard 44 w/auto hubs (brat)
Thanx for the help. Now I need to make sure of the t-case. :D
Soon I will post pix of it all.
Really, thanx though.....