how high?

stifjeep

i know that this is probably a question that gets asked all the time, but how high can you lift a vehicle? Is it by wheelbase or vehicle weight? I've been told it's either one or the other depending on the person.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just a sec...... searching.....

"lift law"

ah... here it is.....http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=918&highlight=lift+law

Good stuff there.

About half way down......1st page

Amended by Chapter 47, 2001 General Session

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITL...m/41_04198.htm
41-6-148.32. Prohibitions.
(1) A person may not operate on any highway within the state a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.
(3) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
So, do I get to rate my GVW based on my axles? a 14 bolt and dann60 must be good for 7,500? Also, are we talking lowest point on the frame for the measurment (skid plate under transfer case)?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So, do I get to rate my GVW based on my axles? a 14 bolt and dann60 must be good for 7,500? Also, are we talking lowest point on the frame for the measurment (skid plate under transfer case)?

From the link ;)
b) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest longitudinal structural member of the body of the vehicle.
(c) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame. The distance is measured when the vehicle is unladen and on a level surface.
(d) "Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)" means the original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the original manufacturer.
(e) "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles utilizing new parts or components, or a person defined as a manufacturer in current applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I better not...(foul language)...
Something about lowriders has always disturbed me... And dropping 20k into a little ricer... now thats insane...

Sounds like I’m going to have to engage my lowrider (front winch to axle), drop the front down about 16” (leave the rear at 38 or so) and find the

mullet wearing chaw spitting neanderthals
inspectors

ummm, measure the lowest point there please, and see what they have to say

funny (and good) read, thanks for the post all

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Well, since mines gonna be a trailer baby (shame tearing up those treads on asphalt anyway) ... I'm interested in the laws that I hear were relaxed a bit for driving my registered Off Road vehicle on city streets … You guys got another one of those law clips I should keep on my vehicle? And just how far does this law let you go. Heck we have all seen farm vehicles, as well as construction vehicles use our streets for years.

edit, in fact funny story here,

There was this severely handicapped person that lived in Heber many years back. Could not obtain a drivers license, so he bought himself this little covered Kotoba tractor thing, and drove it all over town.

Last edited: